Thread: Outfeed Table Height Adjustment

Blog Entries

Outfeed Table Height Adjustment

Hey all, I will be building an outfeed table soon for my table saw and was wondering what to do to adjust the height on the far end of the table. My shop floor has a slight downhill slope away from the saw, maybe a 1/2 inch or so the full length of the planned 8ft. outfeed table. Is there levelers to use on the bottom of the legs or is there a better way? I was thinking of using 4x4 s for the frame. Thanks for any help. Sean

Leveling feet are a good idea, both to fine tune it as well as accommodate any relocation in the future. And wow, that's a big table...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I should of stated the 8 ft. includes the saw table top. where might one find the levelers? Local stores here don't seem to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    I should of stated the 8 ft. includes the saw table top. where might one find the levelers? Local stores here don't seem to have them.
    woodcrafters is where i got mine.

lee valley hardware (www.leevalley.com)

they also have them

There are a variety of these at McMaster Carr online. I got a package of 12 I think...here: item # 23015T66 Leveling Mount Polyethylene Base, 3/8"-16 Thread, 3-1/2" Bolt LIn stock at $10.37 per PackThis product is sold in Packs of 12

Use some T-nuts in the bottom of the legs and you have a great levelling set up. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Rob Will Guest
    Sean, I would build a storage cabinet with drawers as a base for the outfeed table. Build it 1/8" short of the intended height. With the slope in your floor you might need to make one side slightly taller. If you build the top so you can screw it on from inside the cabinet, simply insert shims between the cabinet and top to make evrything level.

IMHO, use a slick laminate top set about 1/16" lower than the main saw table.
    Don't forget about that miter slot.
    One of those HF laser levels is really handy for projecting a straight line out from a machine tool top such as this.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    Sean, I would build a storage cabinet with drawers as a base for the outfeed table. Build it 1/8" short of the intended height. With the slope in your floor you might need to make one side slightly taller. If you build the top so you can screw it on from inside the cabinet, simply insert shims between the cabinet and top to make evrything level.

IMHO, use a slick laminate top set about 1/16" lower than the main saw table.
    Don't forget about that miter slot.
    One of those HF laser levels is really handy for projecting a straight line out from a machine tool top such as this.

Rob
    Bare with me, I'm still learning. Why the 16th inch less height? thanks, Sean

Rob Will Guest
    Bare with me, I'm still learning. Why the 16th inch less height? thanks, Sean
    You want to make sure that nothing ever catches the edge of the outfeed. If anything, it has to be a touch lower than the main saw.
    Be sure to get one of those laser levels for about $10 at HF.
    Plastic laminate or sheet metal would make good shims if you need to level that saw or the outfeed table.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Will; 11-25-2007 at 9:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    .....And wow, that's a big table...
    My outfeed table is 4' x 8' (also doubles as my workbench/assembly table! )

My table is 3/16" below my saw's table......

outfeed.jpg
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Blog Entries
    Now it makes sense. Thanks for the help

Rob Will Guest
    PM sent......

The Local Lowes sells the leveling bolts, just drill a hole in the bottom of the legs, tap in a t-nut and thread the bolt right in. McMaster does sell nicer ones though. The ones I ordered from them have the plastic caps that make sliding things around much easier however this shouldnt apply in your case. The ones from Lowes are in their specialty hardware section in the pull out trays. I had to look for them but eventually found them there.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Hey all, I will be building an outfeed table soon for my table saw and was wondering what to do to adjust the height on the far end of the table. My shop floor has a slight downhill slope away from the saw, maybe a 1/2 inch or so the full length of the planned 8ft. outfeed table. Is there levelers to use on the bottom of the legs or is there a better way? I was thinking of using 4x4 s for the frame. Thanks for any help. Sean
    This is what I used. As you can see, I had to add a small spacer to accommodate the slope in the floor. I found the adjustable legs at a local hardware store.

Click to enlarge.

Here's link to my outfeed table. Click on the individual pictures to see detail comments.
    http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1012

-Don