Thread: Tape - double sided sticky

Tape - double sided sticky

What tape do you guys use for sticking two pieces of wood together for say template routing. I have been using carpet tape and it does not seem to work well. The tape I am using is very thin if that makes a difference. Thanks
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I use "turners" tape that I get at Woodcraft. It's super strong and doesn't take much to do the job.

markus shaffer Guest
    I use quite a bit of double sided carpet tape for template routing on guitars. The stuff I use is actually sometimes too strong. Recently as I was pulling the tape off of some mahogany, it actually pulled some of the wood fibers off. The brand name is Duck. I get it at Home Despot in pretty big rolls. I think it comes in different strengths. I use "heavy traffic". That might be your problem, you've just gotten some that isn't strong enough.

-Markus

I use the double sided carpet tape with the fiberglass reinforcing in it. I've found that the paper backed tape is to thin to be able to conform to any irregularities in the stock and doesn't hold very well.

Dean

double-sided tape

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    What tape do you guys use for sticking two pieces of wood together for say template routing. I have been using carpet tape and it does not seem to work well. The tape I am using is very thin if that makes a difference. Thanks
    For nearly ten years I have used the tape from CRAFT SUPPLY in Utah. Works great. In fact it works so well that it must be removed from the work as quickly as possible. It has never failed for me. Really great for small projects.
    Doc

Byron,

I have "carpet tape" that I got from my local hardware store. It is white and quite thin and kind of a PITA to remove as it doesn't pull up in one piece...more like several pieces and you'd better have fingernails, too! It definately sticks and can occasionally leave residue behind. It also is quite elastic and stretches as you try to peel it up.

It has worked very well for me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I also use the Duck carpet tape all the time. No failures and I have not had any trouble getting it off, though you have to be careful lifting plastic templates off. Work them up with a putty knife or something.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham

This is a message I put on another forum in response to issues with Double Sided Tape -- it's more for turning folks, but it still applicable..., since I can't link to another site due to the TOS of SM Creek, I just cut & pasted it..

----------------------------------

Yes there is a major difference in double-sided tape. It has to do with both the adhesive and the backing. The cheaper thin tapes use a solvent based acrylic (Kraton is one brand name) adhesive almost identical to clear plastic MOPP & BOPP tape used in box sealing applications. That adhesive is fairly hard and not good for irregular surfaces such as wood. It is designed for sealing smooth cardboard. The two sided tape is made by coating one side of the silicone release lining then at another coating station, the film is put on w/a nip roller, then at the last station another coating of adhesive is applied, it’s dried (you don’t have to cure these acrylics). It’s a pain in the rear to make too DAMHIKT!!

The tape you want uses a fabric or paper backing that is thicker (though not as strong) and a natural rubber based adhesive that is very soft (has good amount of oil in it usually and the rubber is milled to higher level w/less fillers – i.e. clay). It flows and fills irregular surfaces. Good (not cheap) carpet tape is like this because of the need to stick to jute backings on carpet. You can look at the packaging and usually find brands that show a higher thickness of the tape. This is due not only to the backing but also due to a larger amount of adhesive put on, just so it sticks better to irregular surfaces. This adhesive is cured (ie crosslinked at about 350dg) should be very tacky to the touch because it’s softer. If it's not tacky, it's old and won't hold anywhere near as well.. tape does have a shelf life.

Note however, in my turning experience (which is much more limited than other posters on this board) I would not trust 2-sided tape to hold on anything w/o tailstock support. Maybe very slow RPM but one of the things about the thicker tape is a lack of shear strength due to the higher adhesive mass and softer adhesive. Since the forces on the tape bond are all in shear direction, it’s the weakest area of the adhesive bond and the physics are against you. Also you want to put it on and let it set a while, preferably under pressure since it will bond better with a little time to flow out and stick in particular if under pressure.

Mike Cody (in another life)
    Former Shift Quality Control Supervisor – American Tape Company Marysville, MI (back in the 90's)

----------------------------------

That above also will explain why when you leave it on, you get residue, etc.. from the more aggressive tapes ... the higher adhesive mass will leave more residue if it's on a long time.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."