Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: router table insert recommendation

I use rocklers plates. 5 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    I use rocklers plates. 5 of them
    Oh, good. Then you can certainly afford to send me one! I think I'm gonna stick with the rockler. Still on the fence, so to speak, between the plate only and just buying the table top with plate and fence. I'm hoping to finagle this into an xmas gift. Otherwise, I might not be getting either for a while.

I'll let you folks know what I end up with. Thanks for all the great input.

I used the less expensive Lee Valley insert in my shop-built table. Been rockin' along with that puppy about 5 years with good results. I got the install right the first time. Good instructions.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Jointech has their phenolic universal plate on sale until 12/31.
    It is a 3/8 plate 9 1/4 x 11 3/4 and comes with 3 insert rings and has 8 leveling screws, it is a nice looking plate.

http://www.jointech.com/routertops_plate-inserts.htm
    I also agree with Bill Huber. I may buy one ???

The 8 leveling screws are a definite plus - 6 eveling screws absolute minimum for a phenolic plate.

Starting with a basic table/fence worked for me, after using it for a while I had a much better idea of what I needed in router table.

I used an Extra Long Mounting Screws and Pin Set from pricecutter.com/ for marking the drilling hole locations, saves time and aggravation - worth the 6 bucks.

Larry

router, lift, and table

from what I have read in recommendations from this forum and various websites I have selected a BenchDog ProMax cast Iron extension table, an Incra Magna-lock and a Porter Cable 7518. wil all this fit together? any advice before I make the jump?
    It is impossible to learn something that you think you already know

I am not a carpenter, I am an artist that makes furniture and cabinets, everything that I make is a one off because I can't make two things alike.

All of the Woodpecker plates and lifts use the same size insert hole. The Woodpecker plates have an excellent twist lock ring system for different sizes of bits - something many of the cheaper plates don't have. You can buy a basic Woodpecker aluminum (or phenolic) plate and then upgrade later to a lift system. Woodpecker also sells a routing template for their plates. I have used two generations of Woodpecker plates and lifts and am very happy with them.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 12-13-2007 at 11:45 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I am with Dave on this. I use a Woodpecker aluminum plate quick lift in my table saw extension which I made out of a double layer of MDF.

I used to use a Jessem phenolic lift but could never get the insert rings to seat flush. This is not a problem with the aluminum Woodpecker plate.

By going with a standard size, you can add other plates or upgrade to a lift without much fuss. In fact, I used the Jessem template to cut the hole for my Woodpecker lift. If you choose the standard woodpecker plate size, you are welcome to borrow my template.

Look at the latest FWW Tools and Shop issue. They have a router table plan with a top that is very similar to what I built for my table saw extension.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Can consider Router Table Depot

Found this too. Aluminium plate. Similr in size to Rockler's large plate.

http://www.routertabledepot.com/aluminuminsert.html

Anyone has one of this and care to comment also? I'm interedted in purchasing one.