Thread: Deco Euro Pen Question...

Deco Euro Pen Question...

I have the bushing kit from Woodcraft for the Euro pens... is there any reason to think that these bushings will not work with the kit from Craft Supply?

I MAY have found the answer. It looks like the bushing kits are more or less universal.

This is from the woodcraft instructions:

Slide the large diameter (.408" or approx. 13/32") bushing on the
    mandrel followed by the handle blank (D). Next place the center
    ring bushing on the small diameter end of the step bushing so
    that the small diameter end faces the headstock and the large di-
    ameter end faces the tailstock, and place this bushing comb-ina-
    tion on the mandrel. Next place the wood spacer on the mandrel
    followed by the small diameter (.360" or approx. 23/64") bushing.
    Secure the bushing/blank assembly on the mandrel using the
    washer and retaining nut.

The Craft Supply ones say the cap bushing is .406, the centerband sizing ring is .529, the center bushing is .425 and the tip bushing is .359.

Looks close enough for government work.

I would still appreciate any actual experiences if anyone has them.

In my own experience (somewhat limited) the bushings do seem to be fairly interchangeable.

The tube length, however, is a very different issue, in my experience. I have 3 different providers' SlimLine kits in my hands and the tubes are all different lengths! not a huge difference, but measurable. Shortest is just under 2" (about 50mm) and longest is about 2-3/32" (about 52mm).

And have you ever looked at the thickness of the tubes?? I just dealt with 400 from the same supplier and saw a number of dramatic variations. Gotta keep those eyes open.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Thomas View Post
    In my own experience (somewhat limited) the bushings do seem to be fairly interchangeable.

The tube length, however, is a very different issue, in my experience. I have 3 different providers' SlimLine kits in my hands and the tubes are all different lengths! not a huge difference, but measurable. Shortest is just under 2" (about 50mm) and longest is about 2-3/32" (about 52mm).

And have you ever looked at the thickness of the tubes?? I just dealt with 400 from the same supplier and saw a number of dramatic variations. Gotta keep those eyes open.
    I never looked at the tubes or worried about it... I have never bought the kits pieces in bulk or anything. I just happened to be ordering some stuff from Craft Supply today and I also needed some pen kits... I just didn't want to have to buy new bushings as well.

I'm hoping that proves true of the gent II froam craft supplies, for the Tycoon pens from PSI. (same size drill}. My expierence with the Chinese has been that they would much rather copy it than engineer it.

I always measure the actual parts that the wood needs to mate up to even when using the kits and bushings come from the same place. On things like slimelines, euros and americana ballpoints I use this to determine how close to the bushing to turn down to. I've seen some bushings be the same size as the parts I'm turning down to and in other cases the bushings are .003" smaller.

On Jr. Gents and the like I don't use the bushings for sizing and actually measure the blank as I turn until I get to the desired size.

So, I would measure the actual pen parts and bushings and as long as the bushings are not bigger than the target you can make them work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    I always measure the actual parts that the wood needs to mate up to even when using the kits and bushings come from the same place. On things like slimelines, euros and americana ballpoints I use this to determine how close to the bushing to turn down to. I've seen some bushings be the same size as the parts I'm turning down to and in other cases the bushings are .003" smaller.

On Jr. Gents and the like I don't use the bushings for sizing and actually measure the blank as I turn until I get to the desired size.

So, I would measure the actual pen parts and bushings and as long as the bushings are not bigger than the target you can make them work.
    I agree - check the bushings against the tube. I've had many come from the same supplier and there were slight variations in the tube diameter. Caused a few blowouts as well as not fitting snug / even with the outer pen parts like the clip and tip (of course, nothing to do with the operator of the tools).