Thread: Old Finish for new Projects

Old Finish for new Projects

A friend of mine said that his grandfather, who was a woodworker in the early 1900s, used a simple finish made of 1/3 bees wax, 1/3 mineral spirits and 1/3 tung oil.
    I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if anyone else has heard of this?
    It was apparently a very durable finish in those days, easily applied and quick drying. Any information would be appreciated.........Jack

It's still a durable finsish. I think everyone's grandfather used that same finish. Some, like mine, would substitute boiled linseed oil for tung oil. Same same, in the end.

Todd

I have to disagree about the durability of this finish. Oil or oil and wax finishes are the least protective of any finish and require frequent renewal to maintain the original look. Also anything with pure tung oil isn't going to be quick drying. Well it may be quick drying, but it won't be quick curing. Pure tung oil takes a month or more to cure before it should be top coated or put into use.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Amadon; 12-01-2007 at 10:57 AM.

How do you define "durability", Rob? While I wouldn't use an oil and wax finish for my kitchen table, I have and will continue to use it for many other things I make. Thos Moser's furniture feature an oil and wax finish exclusively...and that's even on the stuff they make for institutional use, such as college libraries.

Professor Dr. SWMBO's desk was finished with oil and wax...8 years ago when I first made it. It's been waxed twice since. Looks like new.

But I'll also admit that I use a shellac over oil much more at this point, but for different reasons...I like the look.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was referring more to the protection provided by an oil and wax finish. I guess the way that durability is defined is an important factor here. I didn't want the OP to think that the finish he was asking about would give him something comparable to a film finish. I must say that I am surprised that your wife's desk was finished with oil and wax and has maintained its original look for that long with only 2 waxings. Exactly how did you finish it?

I have also used pure oil finishes on certain projects. I usually use other methods to get an in the wood finish and a more protective finish though. I use shellac alone or shellac over BLO whenever I can get away with it, which is much more often than most people probably think. IMO it gives wood a natural beauty that I haven't found in any other finish.

Rob

Rob, the desk is finished with Tried and True original oil/beeswax. Three coats originally. I was equally surprised at how nice it's stayed. No complaints!

Shellac has become my favorite film finish at this point. I do spray water borne on cabinetry and certain furniture pieces that need a little extra "protection" from my girls, but even the shellac pieces have held up well. As you'll find from reading my posts, I'm definitely in the "just say no to poly-over-anything" club!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used this finish for years except with boiled liseed oil. While it isnt as durable as some of the new poly finishes it deffinately has its place in the shop depending on the type and time peroid of your work. It is a great finish for the right projects and the overall finish that you may be wanting. It really depends alot on personal taste. It is not a good durable finish for kitchen table tops by todays standards. One nice thing about it is you can refresh the finish any time you wish with proper cleaning first. Just my thoughts dont mean to offend anyone.