Thread: Is this system for the lathe or the buffer?

Is this system for the lathe or the buffer?

I'm about to get this item (complete system for $69)http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...buff_sys?Args= but I can't tell if it's for the lathe or the buffer. I have a 6" buffer from sears so I can't tell if this would work. I understand that this is the way to go for bowls and larger items isntead of the three buff system. Is that correct?
    Thanks for the responses
    Alex

Alex...It looks to me like it's intended for anything that goes round and round. But no matter what, you'll have to rig it with some kind of adapter to make it work. I just use a 1/4 HP motor mounted to the bench and make my own collars to adapt to whatever buffing system I want to use. But then....I'm just guessing.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Short answer is yes,

It can be mounted on a shaft of a motor as is or a morse taper adapter can be bought and used on the lathe as I did.

Bob

Buffer speed?

If your 6 in buffer is a 3600 rpm machine, you will want that (in wheel to revolce slower. I will not use any wheel bigger than 6 in on my 3600 machine. You will want the various plies of the wheel to be able to flex a little. and that won't happen at 3600. an eight in. machine at 3600 is just a mite scary.

It seems to fit on a mot not your lathe you can get an adaptor for your lathe though. Personally I have the Beall with a morse tape on the end but I dont like using the draw bar.
    http://donpencil.com/
    If you go to Don's site and go under wood n things wood buffing system | lathe adaptors he has on that screws right onto the head stock.
    Mike Vickery