Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jointer shavings clogging up dust collector intake grate

jointer shavings clogging up dust collector intake grate

I've got a Delta 50-760 dust collector. Until recently it's been working fine.

This past week I got an 8" jointer (DJ-20 clone made by King Industrial) and while jointing a number of 2x4 studs for a project I managed to clog up the intake on the DC.

The problem appears to be that there is a metal "X" across the DC intake, presumably to prevent large objects from being sucked up and damaging the impeller. Unfortunately, the long stringy shavings from the jointer were accumulating on the "X", eventually reaching the point where all airflow was blocked.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm considering cutting out the "X", but I thought I'd check if anyone had other ideas.

I think a trash can separator would do the trick. Woodstock International (check Grizzly) and Jet have the lids- you supply the can and extra hose.
    Last edited by John Callahan; 11-27-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Yes, I had that problem with a similar single stage collector.

That, and the fact that the collector only met aproximately 50% of its stated CFM's led me to research more dust collectors, resulting in the purchase of an Oneida cyclone.

You may be able to pre-separate the large chips with a cyclone lid for a garbage can, however you are probably at the same stage we all reached, the stage where you need two stages, preferrably a cyclone with good filters.

Avoid the temptation to remove the inlet guard, it's there to keep your fingers, or large wood chunks out of the fan.

Regards, Rod.

Same problem in the past...

I've had the same problem - the trashcan separator is a great $20 fix for this.

You can also build a cyclone using a $150 cyclone built and sold by a guy on that big online auction site. It costs more, and it's not a ClearVue...but it's done very, very well for me and I only have a 1350 CFM Jet blower.

Either way, you have to find a way to separate those heavier particles out prior to them entering the impeller.
    GO POKES!!

This has nothing to do with a single stage or 2 stage collector. The "X" is upstream to any collector and right close to the cutterhead.

I have a several $K Felder 20" combo jointer planer, and with softer woods, I have the same issue. I too have that "X" on my outlet. Soft maple is the worst. If I hog off the material, it clogs every time. PITB.

Todd

Sorry, I misread the post. Chris has an "X" on his dust collector. My "X" is on the jointer's dust collector chute.

My issue has nothing to do with the type of collector.

Chris's issue IS the collector.

Todd

Just as another point of reference. I have a clearview cyclone.
    The bottom of the cyclone "funnel" is 6" in diameter.

I had to plane a lot of basswood.. The shavings were very long curlies which would sometimes form a clog in the bottom of the cone. This is one time where I was glad I had the transparent cyclone.

I think it's just the nature of some of the woods. You can try taking less aggressive cuts (that helped me).

Actually, you might want to just remove the DC hose on the jointer and just let the shavings fall to the floor. Jointers don't really make fine dust, so it's not a health hazard. It's a lot easier to periodically turn off the jointer, and reach your hand inside it to unclog than it is to take apart your DC system..

The X is to prevent you from sticking your hand in the impellor. Great safety feature huh? Just hacksaw it off and be done with it.

Blog Entries
    Trashcan for now, cyclone eventually.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries

another option? ($$$)

Well Chris,
    One of the less-talked-about advantages of the carbide insert cutterheads
    is that the small chips produced really keep your d/c moving...
    maybe you are do for yet another shop upgrade ?!?
    (at least that is one way a tool hound might see it)

I do find that sticky woods like pine are icky to work with...

good luck,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    Well Chris,
    One of the less-talked-about advantages of the carbide insert cutterheads
    is that the small chips produced really keep your d/c moving...
    maybe you are do for yet another shop upgrade ?!?
    (at least that is one way a tool hound might see it)

I do find that sticky woods like pine are icky to work with...

good luck,
    Walt
    Hmmmmmmm I like the way you think

Gary

12. Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    The X is to prevent you from sticking your hand in the impellor. Great safety feature huh? Just hacksaw it off and be done with it.
    I, and a lot of other folks, just cut the thing out. As noted its purpose is to prevent you from sticking your hand in the impellor. Remove grate. Don't stick your hand in the impellor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Schronce View Post
    I, and a lot of other folks, just cut the thing out. As noted its purpose is to prevent you from sticking your hand in the impellor. Remove grate. Don't stick your hand in the impellor.
    Will removing the grate expose the impellor to possible damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Will removing the grate expose the impellor to possible damage?
    Yes, in theory. With the grate in place you could suck up a 2"-ish or smaller cube of wood and it could hit the impellers. The grate would stop a larger cube of wood. Of course in practice, the 760 doesn't suck up large chunks of wood that well.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Nate Folco View Post
    Yes, in theory. With the grate in place you could suck up a 2"-ish or smaller cube of wood and it could hit the impellers. The grate would stop a larger cube of wood. Of course in practice, the 760 doesn't suck up large chunks of wood that well.
    Exactly. IMHO it would take a decent sized stick of hardwood that would likely be to heavy for the unit to suck up to begin with.