Thread: Bowl Gouge size for newbe?

Bowl Gouge size for newbe?

I have never turned a bowl and need some input into what size bowl gouge to start with 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2?

brian

Assuming you'll be starting out with modest size bowls, the 3/8" (US measure) is probably the best compromise for starting out and it will continue to be useful even as the scale of your objects grows. Personally, I use a 5/8" (1/2" US measure) Ellsworth bowl gouge for 90% of my non-hollow vessel turning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am a new turner as well. After a free brief tutoring from Kurt K. in Indy this weekend. He highly recommended a 3/8" high quality gouge as well. And after watching Kurt tear into a blank on his new Powermatic lathe, it didn't take long to realize that a good sharpening system is also just as important.

Brian,

3/8 or 1/2 is a very good size. If it is bowl turning, I would use the 1/2 gouge. I bought the unhandled HSS bowl gouge from Lee Valley that are made in Australia and I am very impressed with a $28 bowl gouge. I turned a handle out of some birds eye maple and cut a piece of 3/4 copper tubing for the ferrule and she looks good (to me) and works very well. A LOT better that the previous 1/4 bowl gouge I was using.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Brian

The big question is, what size lathe do you have, and how big is the motor? That is a large factor in determining the best sized bowl gouge for you. For most mini lathes and starter lathes in the 12" range, the 3/8" gouge is your best bet. If you have a larger machine with a correspondingly larger motor, you would probably be happier with a 1/2" gouge. Smaller machines with smaller motors will actually work better with a smaller gouge. The larger one will just stall the machine and frustrate you.

Good luck with it.

Bill

Thanks all, I bought a 3/8".

Brian