Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General 350/650 Riving Knife

General 350/650 Riving Knife

I just spoke with my local tool supplier and was told the general 350/650 with riving knife will be in next week. I asked if he was sure and was told he has confirmed the first shipment of new saws. Has anyone heard this news? Is this going to be a true riving knife?

Dan

As a owner of a General 650, I would like to know if there will be a retrofit kit available for older saws.
    Last edited by chris del; 11-29-2007 at 8:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris del View Post
    As a owner of a General 650, I wold like to know if there will be a retrofit kit available for older saws.
    That will be interesting if they can do that, Chris. A lot of the resistance to getting riving knives on existing machine models has been because of re-design issues that can affect the whole trunion and arbor setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd like to know MUCH more about this. The General 350 is on my short list when it comes time for a cabinet saw next summer (yes, it's actually in the budget with spousal approval!) but the lack of a riving knife has had me looking at the PM2000 and SawStop.

What I'm hoping one of these big boys can give me is pretty simple but apparently increasingly rare: a truly flat table with parallel miter slots, a blade that stays in the same plane when raised and lowered, low vibration and high power--and a riving knife.

Maybe that's a General 350 with riving knife.

I've heard rumors of this over the last 9 months or so. As a General 650 owner I hope they have a retrofit kit available. Somehow I think not, but I'm hoping. General quality with a riving knife. That would be an awesome combo.

~mark

Would be in-line with what I heard from a General rep at a wood show last month, although he said February at that time.

"The General 350 is on my short list when it comes time for a cabinet saw next summer (yes, it's actually in the budget with spousal approval!) but the lack of a riving knife has had me looking at the PM2000 and SawStop."

I'm in the same boat between the pm2000 and sawstop. I had ruled out the general because of no riving knife. Now I will wait another week and go look at the General. I hope it is a true riving knife and not some jerry rigged merlin type thing. It would be foolish to buy a new high end cabinet saw today without a riving knife.

Dan

"Would be in-line with what I heard from a General rep at a wood show last month, although he said February at that time."

It looks like they have hurried it up to catch some holiday sales.

Dan

Pictures, please, as soon as anybody sees one in a shop. Especially pictures of the riving knife mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    I'm in the same boat between the pm2000 and sawstop. I had ruled out the general because of no riving knife
    Is there a reason that you have ruled out the Grizzly G0651? It also has a riving knife, and looks like a winner to me.

Also, please note that Jet also now sells the Deluxe Xacta line of saws with riving knives as well (yes, I know that WMH owns Delta, Jet, and PM):
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=07INCHIN. I need to go check them out at a local woodcraft (saw the sawstop there last week, but it was a very small shop and didn't have any other saws; I will go check a different store this weekend).

Both the 50" Grizz and the Jet sell for about $400 less then a comparable PM 2000. And $1700-1900 less then the Sawstop (depending on shipping).
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 12-03-2007 at 5:49 PM.

Bringing this one back to the top so we don't forget it. I'm really eager to see this saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    (yes, I know that WMH owns Delta, Jet, and PM
    WMH does not own Delta. They are part of Black and Decker. Jet and PM are WMH brands, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    WMH does not own Delta. They are part of Black and Decker.
    Whoops, got carried aways with those commas.... The third part of the WMH Toolgroup trilogy is Wilton, not delta.

"Is there a reason that you have ruled out the Grizzly G0651? It also has a riving knife, and looks like a winner to me."

I can get the Jet a bit cheaper and get free local shipping. Also I have seen the jet at a local store and it looks solid. Unfortunately the local salesman that told me the new Generals will be in next week has changed his story a bit. I thought it sounded too good to be true. I will wait until the end of Dec. then I will get the Jet if the new General is not available. I was told the price on the new general will be in the $2600 range.

Dan

My tablesaw is a 2-year old General 350 right tilt. After reading this thread, I telephoned the Western sales rep. from General. He knows that the saws sold in 2008 will come with a riving knife.

He didn't know if a retro-fit version will go on sale. But said he'd call me back with that information. I'll forward any news I get here on SMC. He did say, that the majority of his users run their equipment without a splitter or blade guard. Scary thought.

That old style safety gear sure impedes smooth operation of a saw.

Gary Curtis