Thread: Question about Ryobi router table setup ... or should I return it?

Question about Ryobi router table setup ... or should I return it?

I've been enjoying reading posts on this forum and have picked up a lot of great ideas. Thanks!

I have been using an old Craftsman router and a Hirsch vinyl router table to make simple picture frames and bee hive gear. I'm essentially a noobie and haven't done any furniture-grade work.

Now I want to make 3 simple stile and rail cabinet doors with plain plywood/panel doors. I got a Hitachi M12SC router because the old Craftsman wouldn't work with the rail and stile bits. The old table is clearly not suitable either.

So, I bought a Ryobi "Intermediate" bench-top router table, model A25RT02, at Home Depot. For $100, it's got some nice features, including a large table top (32 x 16" x 1" MDF laminated). I also like that it would be easy to store when I don't need it.

Here's a large picture of the table:
    http://209.235.210.201/images/tools/A25RT02.jpg

Unfortunately, I've been unable to get the insert to lay flat. I can slide a business card under the straight edge at several points. The insert is almost 3/8" thick plastic and may have come out of the mold slightly irregular. I got a replacement from Ryobi, but it's no better.

Ryobi seems to know that the insert plate doesn't level because the tech support person said that if the replacement didn't work, she'd recommend returning it. In fact, it appears that Ryobi is no longer marketing this table on their website, so they may have abandoned it.

What is the greatest unevenness I should accept? I'm guessing that to have the stiles and rails match accurately, the top and insert really do need to be level. Is that true?

Is there a reasonable way to fix this? I've considered sanding the insert to remove the warp. Or do you think this is a lost cause and I should take it back for a refund?

If I were to return this table, what would you recommend as a low cost router table? Please keep in mind that I'll only use it once every 2 years, so all I need is something functional.

I don't think you are going to find musch better in the $100 price range. If you are willing to go up some look at Rockler. They have a table for about $180. No power switch , no markings on the table, etc.

Router Table Depot has an aluminum unit for $90 (on sale for $60 right now) that looks good and has some of the same features as your Ryobi.

Your best bang for the buck on a low end router table would be a Bosch RA1181. $168 and free shipping from Amazon. Read the reviews.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-01-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    You will be unhappy with your R&T joint if you don't get a good cut. Since the insert appears to be proprietary and is a known problem child I would probably return the table. Rockler has a sale good through tomorrow that includes a free PC690 router: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&filter=31759 It is in their Thanksgiving Weekend sale flyer and is good online or at the store (you can also call them 800 279 4441.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks, it really helps to get input from others. I'll return the Ryobi today.

The Rockler and Router Table Depot benchtop tables look good. Router Table Depot even has a table on sale:
    http://www.routertabledepot.com/subetoprotaw.html

I've not been able to find any review on Router Table Depot's tables, and only one on Rockler's. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The Bosch might be a very good solution. There's a very positive review of the Bosch here, too (but he also gives a very positive review of another Bosch 1171A that gets mediocre reviews on Amazon):
    http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b1181rvu.html

Here a tip for someone more daring than me.

Lowe's is selling the Freud RTP-1000 Ultimate Portable Router Table at a discounted clearance price of $169 (was $199). The tools manager at my store even offered to sell it to me at half the current price. They're doing inventory, so maybe they want to get rid of it before they finalize the numbers.

I tested the table in-store to see how well it would support a heavy router. When I put a little weight on just the table top and again just on the insert, both deflected. The fence might be nice but there are too many negatives to that table, even at just $84.

Lowes has also reduced the price on Bosch RA1171 cabinet style router table from $169.99 to $159.99. Evidently they're going to continue carrying that table and the cheapo Skil tables.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Wagner View Post
    I've not been able to find any review on Router Table Depot's tables, and only one on Rockler's. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    My dad got the larger version, same type of table and stand, just larger. It is a nice solid setup for the price. As I understand it you are looking at smaller tables. You can still get the free router through 12/7 if that turns out to be your decision.

I have the Rockler TS extension wing and fence loaded up with the big Milwaukee with a 2HP Ryobi as a spare for chamfering. Have used it for about 3 years with no complaints.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the Bosch RA1181 and have been happy with it. It has an aluminum insert, so there should be no sag over the years. Nice fence and they make a matching stand if you need one, good value at $169.

I'm going to poke in here and say that you can build a very nice router table with a little over $50 of materials. Check Pat Warner's suggestions - I don't know if he has them on his webpage. I got it in one of his books - "How to get the very best out of your router", or something like that.

All you need is a good solid base (make it out of whatever you want), some MDF, some rigid jointed boards to stablize the table and some paste wax. You get to choose the size, weight and height of the table and it'll be more stable than 95% of the aftermarket tables you'll find.

Building a router table was the first project I did in my new shop. If it ever gets out of flat, all I have to do is plane it back to flat. If I plane it so many times that the MDF top gets thin, the solution is simple - unbolt it, get a new piece of MDF for $10 and put a new top on.

I had the $100 ryobi router table. It's just my opinion, but I don't think you'll be able to get to the point where you "like" using it, especially if you have to do larger pieces to run through it. I gave the table away by putting it out on the curb and writing "free" on it.

My first router table was a piece of mdf on two sawhorses. I used the baseplate from the router to locate the mounting holes for the router. Then bolted the router to it and plunged a 1/4" bit through the mdf to locate the center point, and drilled the opening with a hole saw.

A strip of mdf and 2 clamps became the fence. It was very rewarding to get something that worked so well for so little effort and cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I have the Bosch RA1181 and have been happy with it. It has an aluminum insert, so there should be no sag over the years. Nice fence and they make a matching stand if you need one, good value at $169.
    Lance, is the metal table top flat and easy to work with?