Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad dog drill bits/ Bench dog holes

Bad dog drill bits/ Bench dog holes

Bought a set of Bad Dog drill bits after watching a guy at the Phoenix WW show drill through everything and anything (including ebony) as if it was pine. No smoke, nothing.

I've been trying to figure out how to drill 3/4" bench dog holes in a 2" thick maple table top I'm turning into a work table. This seemed like I had found what I was looking for.

Got home and tried to drill a test hole into a piece of 6/4 maple. Started smoking pretty bad, but it did cut over an inch into the board with not too much pressure. I was using a single speed corded drill. I'm not too excited about the prospect of drilling about 18 holes 1 3/4" deep.

2 questions- Is there something I could be doing differently that might make the bit work the way it did on the demo?

My second thought is to template route the holes with a bushing and an upcut spiral mortising bit. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Glen Huey, senior editor at Popular Woodworking, has a video on exactly this topic. He used a jig and a router to quickly and accurately drill all of the round bench dog holes in his new workbench.

Try this link: http://fw_woodworking.permissiontv.c...?showid=522399

Bad dog drill bit are not for wood. they are a metal drilling bit. that could be the problem.. can you just use a spade bit. you'll want the ones what have the small barbs on the outer edge to get a clean hole.

........I used a not-very-high quality 3/4 inch Fostner bit, using a handdrill having variable speed and housed in a simple jig that held the drill perpendicular to the bench, while "plunging" the drill bit into the benchtop....the bench was 3" maple.... I am sure I took my time, backing the bit out several times to clear the chips, prevent overheating.... no chipping of the rim of the dog hole occurred.....
    ...... btw, I have a Dremel drill and their simple router plate/vertical holder and happened to have a very simple Dremel 'router' bit (#615, called a 1/8" piloted corner rounding bit) that eased the rim of the doghole beautifully... I'm sure a similar regular size "corner round over bit, 1/16" or 1/8" radius", would do the same.

good luck

Bullseye

Pete,

Thanks much. My eyes got big when he plunged that straight down in one shot.

Jim

Rover bits

Dale,

I got a set that included the Rover bits which are only for wood.

Jim

....checking out Cliff's link to the Popular Woodworking mag's video on using a plunge router (also a great idea) reminds me of something you may want to try to do:
    ......assuming all dogholes along the length of the workbench are on an "a" axis and all dogholes across the width of the bench are on a "b" axis, try to drill the holes on each axis equal distance from the other holes on that axis (except for perhaps the holes closest to the outside edge of the benchtop).... this would allow you to drop into ANY two holes on the same axis a cleat or any other jig that is anchor by 3/4" wood pegs on the bottom of the jig...... a template, using a 3/4" anchoring peg into the first hole drilled, is easy to build to figure out to exactly find the equal distance drilling points along each axis

good luck

I recently stressed over how to put 3/4 inch holes in my 3 inch ash bench top. I saw a post on this site in which Jim Becker suggested simply using a spade bit. I stopped at my local hardware store and picked up a new Irwin bit for the tidy sum of $4. It cut like a charm for all 24 holes! A tip if you do this: when the point of the bit breaks through the bottom side of the bench, move the drill to the bottom and drill up to meet the hole you've just drilled (it will prevent tear out).
    Ryan

LOL, ok you can beat my brow all you want, here is what I used to drill my dog holes in my 4 inch bench top. Smaller bit of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I use a brand new Irwin 3/4" spade bit (the one with the little cutter wings) and did very nice and very clean dog holes in my bench top. There was some break out on the bottom 'cause I didn't bother with a backer while drilling, but the edges on the top are absolutely crisp.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I too saw the Bad Dog bits at a number of WW shows before I caved in. I sent them back and it took three months to get my credit card charge back.

I tried to use them in cinder block and they chipped badly. I called the company. They said I had the wrong speed. I changed to their speed. They still chipped. But,..........they sure work good in the demo.

And those that said they were not made for wood.............yer right. Didn't work very well.

Jim

I bought a set a few years back at a show, Had to take all of them back this year and get them replaced. (They replaced them with no hassel) the tips came off on some others chipped, one the bit came out of the hex shank. on that demo they were only doing metal and ceramics (Tile) Never have seen them in wood. I'm switching over to "ARTU" for the hard stuff.

I bought a set of baddog bits a major woodworkiing show. Received a partial order a week later and opened the package to rusty and chipped bits. I sent the whole works back and waited weeks for a credit and finally called my credit card company to get my refund. I can't beleive they are still doing it to people and still in business.

Bruce

Blog Entries
    I just used a 3/4" brad point bit and this guide: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1180501803
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I did all the benmchtop holes in my bowling alley top with a spade bit, 110v drill and one of those small presses you hook a corded drill to.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.