Quote Originally Posted by James Hart View Post
Bought a set of Bad Dog drill bits after watching a guy at the Phoenix WW show drill through everything and anything (including ebony) as if it was pine. No smoke, nothing.

I've been trying to figure out how to drill 3/4" bench dog holes in a 2" thick maple table top I'm turning into a work table. This seemed like I had found what I was looking for.

Got home and tried to drill a test hole into a piece of 6/4 maple. Started smoking pretty bad, but it did cut over an inch into the board with not too much pressure. I was using a single speed corded drill. I'm not too excited about the prospect of drilling about 18 holes 1 3/4" deep.

2 questions- Is there something I could be doing differently that might make the bit work the way it did on the demo?

My second thought is to template route the holes with a bushing and an upcut spiral mortising bit. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
Seems like that show is getting smaller and smaller every year. I was a bit disappointed. The only thing that kept me there as long is it did was the talks that were being given, and the woodworking school boot that makes those beautiful Maloof style rockers ( It has been a WW dream of mine to build one of those). One of these days I am going to sign up for that class