Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stores near Allentown, PA?

Stores near Allentown, PA?

I'll be visiting family in Allentown, PA this week and was wondering if there are any woodworking stores worth visiting. I'm thinking something other than Woodcraft as we have one of those locally.

Also, does anyone know if Grizzly has any special deals the day after Thanksgiving. It would be a drive but if anything is on sale it may be worthwhile as I've never been to their store.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

Allentown

I don't know if Grizzly has any deals on friday, But If you haven't been to Grizzly yet I think that it would be worth going anyway. You will not be dissapointed.

Woodcraft is on lehigh street in Allentown.

You could stop in at one of my customer's sites and install SQL Server for me

Woodcraft is the only store I am aware of in Allentown. I would definitely make the trip to Grizzly if you can. Its around 2 hrs from Allentown, up the turnpike (route 476) and straight out route 80 west.. Easy drive and well worth the trip.

flea market

There is a flea market on weekends in Quakertown. I have bought tools, wood, Machinist tools, look forward to it whenever possible. There are not as many old tools as I guess we own them but I think it wou;d be a good trip if you were not thinking of an expemsove store. The surplus store there carry a multitude of things you would be interested including fasteners by the pound. Harry

Woodcraft is the only one I know, too, Wes. You may want to call Griz to get their hours of operation for Friday. Do note that Allentown got snow today...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

About an hour away

Woodworker's Haven is about an an hour and 15 minutes away (south towards Philly) depending on how you go and traffic of course. It's south down near the east west turnpike. Haven't been in the place but have heard good things. Only got to stare in the window one day after it had closed. Ironically, I used to work right across the street from this place...but that was before I was into woodworking.
    http://www.woodworkershavenusa.com/

Might also want to think about Penn State Industries. Another place I haven't been to, but it's down the road just a bit from woodworkers haven so you could make a day of it and hit both if you want:
    http://www.pennstateindustries.com/

Finally, you might consider visiting Hearne Hardwood just for the experience. More wood than you can shake a stick at: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/
    This would be a bit of a drive from Allentown (it's almost to Delaware), but if you head South, what the heck is another hour or so in the car!

Hope you have a great trip,
    Tim

Grizzly is well worth the trip... if you like to drool a lot! There is currently some furniture built by Al Rosen that is worth seeing all by itself. Dining table, 6 chairs, hutch - $29,000. Please do not touch thankyouverymuch! Absolutely beautiful work, which probably goes without saying.

Aside from that, they have every tool (at least I think every one) that is in their catalog on display. Touch all you want. Also lots of helpful freindly staff that will happily discuss their products with you.

Yes, well worth the trip. I'm about 1 hour North and I stop there a few times a year when I'm passing through.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Quigley View Post
    Woodworker's Haven is about an an hour and 15 minutes away (south towards Philly) depending on how you go and traffic of course. It's south down near the east west turnpike. Haven't been in the place but have heard good things. Only got to stare in the window one day after it had closed. Ironically, I used to work right across the street from this place...but that was before I was into woodworking.
    http://www.woodworkershavenusa.com/
    Absolutely a nice place to visit.

And that building across the street? The one that looks like a cruise ship control building? I had a client in there years ago that I put in a large Unix system...food brokers, if I remember correctly.
    --

Jim,
    Yup...the cruise ship with the mote around it! Worked for a little internet company there starting in 1999. Was in that building just a few months before we moved a few miles away off Byberry Road. Was there until 2003. Started woodworking about a year later.

Tim

The family and I are currently in Saylorsburg, visiting my in-laws for Turkey Day. It was just determined that Pops-In-Law and I are going to make the trek to Muncie on Friday morning!! I'm so excited I can't stand it.....

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

And MLCS is at the same place as Penn State. They normally have some store specials, and sell once-used (for testing) router bits pretty reasonably.

Don't forget HF!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...l_Store_ID=151

MCLS is the retail face of Penn State Industries and actually is at a different physical location from PSI. The latter is a warehouse operation only in NE Phila...unless something has changed recently. It's been years since I visited MCLS. For local woodworking shopping, I much prefer Woodworker's Haven.
    --

15. Ya might take in a tour of the Martin Guitar factory. Call first.