Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dayton g73 Electric Heater

Dayton g73 Electric Heater

I been thinking about this heater to use in the garage. I currently have a propane 'tube' heater (40,000 BTU) but the noise and off and on, off and on is getting to be a pain. Since I have an available 30 amp 220 (twistlock) when I'm not using the table saw, I was thinking this would be a great 'stabilizer'.

Anyone have this? Opinions on noise & durability?
    I'm pretty sure the 19,000 BTU is plenty for keeping the temp steady once I get up to a comfortable temp, but I'm not seeing a lot of reviews on the 'inner-webby' and thought I'd ask if others have any experience.

If you've had another 18,000-19,000 electric heater for a couple of years that you're satisfied with, I'd love to hear about it too.

I have a Fahrenheat, which I would bet is the same heater under a different brand name, though I can't prove it. Anyway, the specs and appearance are identical. I paid around $180 for mine locally. The Dayton for $300 seems a bit pricey. From following the woodworking forums, others on here are using them as well. I have a 20' x 30' shop in a separate building, well insulated. This heater isn't going to make it a balmy 75 in the dead of winter, but it will get it to 60 on all but the coldest days, which is very comfortable to work in. I set it on low when I'm not in the shop. I haven't noticed a huge difference in my electric bill. As to noise, there is a fan, so it makes some. I haven't found it annoying except when I've got the radio on.

As to durability, I've had it for three years and it has worked well up until recently. Last week, I discovered the thermostat had gone bad. Rather than order the OEM replacement part, I went to the home center and got a line voltage, wall mount thermostat that are commonly used for baseboard electric. Mounted it to the wall, wired it into the thermostat leads in the heater and it works great again.

I'm actually thinking of something like this to help bring the shop up to temp faster than just with the electric radient units I currently have in the shop. The kero heater had to go in the trash...and good riddance!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Fahrenheat model electric heater. The Dayton heater looks exactly like it and the online manual also looks the same. I just installed this about 2 months ago. I have a 25 x 30 garage that I am using it in (well insulated). Last weekend it was in the 20's - 30's at night and I was able to keep it above 70 with out any issues. I don't run it all the time but will turn it on low friday when I get home from work and leave it on all weekend. I only turn it up when I am working in the garage.

I am waiting to see how it works in Jan and Feb when it gets below zero.

BTW I got this heater at a local store for $199.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. What local store? I'm looking on the web but not getting much love in New Jersey for a place to buy one.

Do you have Grainger locally? They carry alot of electric heaters. I bought a portable 220 v, 5600 watt electric heater from my local electrical supply store. Was around $ 135.00. It works really well and heats my 700 sq. ft shop very nicely. I also use a kerosene heater to boost the heat on the very coldest days. If you are interested I can look up the name of the heater for you, and possibly post a link with the tech specs.

My 14,000 btu heater came from the local "Best" hardware store. About $140. Rated at 4000 watts (220v) it is more than ample when heating my new garage/shop. I can't recall the brand, but I'm sure every retail channel - including Grainger - probably sells the same unit under differing brand names.

Cost of operation is only 25 cents/hr. Because of the fire danger created by sawdust, I blow it out with compressed air when I clean the shop (daily).

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hale View Post
    Kevin,

Thanks for the info. What local store? I'm looking on the web but not getting much love in New Jersey for a place to buy one.
    Here is one possibility.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...970_122+770343

I just bought an electric heater from them. The price was right and they shipped promptly.

I think that lots of us are very interested in this thread. Please keep up the great posting on this one.

Tom

Winter is here.

Dave,

I bought my heater at a Farm and Fleet store. They only have locations in the midwest. Here is the web site for the company that makes the heater.

http://www.marleymeh.com/

Northern Tool has this heater for $259 and they will give you a gift card for $25 if you spend over $250 right now.

Kevin

Dave,

I use one like this
    http://www.heater-home.com/product/BRH562.aspx
    to heat 550 sq. ft. and it keeps it really warm to 0 degrees (fairly well insulated space). When it's colder than that I augment it with a basic 1500 watt 110v unit (Milk Can type). With this setup I work in the shop with a t-shirt comfortably. When I am not working I set it at the lowest setting and the shop stays around 50 to 55. I think my highest electric bill was around $85.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cantillon View Post
    Dave,

I bought my heater at a Farm and Fleet store. They only have locations in the midwest. Here is the web site for the company that makes the heater.

Kevin
    Farm & Fleet is also where I got mine. They were the cheapest of anyone. I also bought a new Performax 16-32 there for $600 on a closeout. It's a great store. Sorry, they don't do mail order.

I istalled one of these last fall in a 20 X 25 shop and it works great.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_595_595

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gooden View Post
    Dave,

I use one like this
    http://www.heater-home.com/product/BRH562.aspx
    to heat 550 sq. ft. and it keeps it really warm to 0 degrees (fairly well insulated space). When it's colder than that I augment it with a basic 1500 watt 110v unit (Milk Can type). With this setup I work in the shop with a t-shirt comfortably. When I am not working I set it at the lowest setting and the shop stays around 50 to 55. I think my highest electric bill was around $85.

Rick
    Rick,
    I saw that one too. Liked the 5-year warranty vs the 1-year for the Farhenheat/Dayton models, but I also like the 'in-the-air' style vs. the 'on-the-ground' style.

Great feedback from all. Thank you for the informative feedback. Just another reason why this site is such a great place!

Found a Grainger within driving distance, but not any Farm&Fleet. Be calling them tomorrow.

[quote=Dave Hale;712522]Rick,
    I saw that one too. Liked the 5-year warranty vs the 1-year for the Farhenheat/Dayton models, but I also like the 'in-the-air' style vs. the 'on-the-ground' style.

Dave.

I made a stand for mine with the heater about 4' off the ground, shelves under it for cleaning supplies. Also, I have an air filtration unit at ceiling level that I notice a big difference in the efficiency of the heater when it is on and circulating the air.

Rick