Thread: Possible gloat on a set of turning tools...

Possible gloat on a set of turning tools...

I was poking around an antique store and found a corner full of old woodworking tools. Amongst countless old hammers and axes I found this box of turning tools. Not sure how old they are but they seem to be in pretty good condition. Since I didn't have any standard size turning tools yet I picked them up for $37.00 and figured I atleast got something I can tinker with. They say "Ward Powr-Kraft" and the set includes 3 gouges, 2 parting tools, 2 skew chisels, and one more I have yet to indentify. Anybody seen this brand before?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Made for and sold by Montgomery Ward. They have been out of business for years. I have some of their wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc. that I know are over 40 years old and still look like and work like new. I don't know, but I'm guessing you have high speed steel and pretty nice turning tools. If memory serves me correctly, they didn't sell junk.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Of course i have no real idea, but I would not assume they were HSS, as HSS is a realtively recent development in turning tools. You can tell by the type of spark they give off during grinding. HSS sparks are fairly small and subtle, where as carbon steel sparks are bigger and flashier, more like a sparkler on the 4th of July. Main difference, and the reason to be careful, is that if you burn carbon steel, you ruin the temper, not so with HSS.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

You done good

I'm with Dan---probably carbon steel.
    You just got a box of low-mileage lathe tools for the price of one new whizbang alloy tool. I woulda torn the pocket off my jeans getting my wallet out for that deal.
    Those will take a keen edge and have years of metal left in them. You'll be touching up your edges a bit more often than the HSS owners---not a great burden. Just don't park 'em on the grinder long enough to blue the metal. A friable white wheel should cut cooler, as will a slow-speed grinder. I use a 3450rpm grinder, white wheels and a light touch---no problem with bluing.

Bob

Nice score! I use my carbon steel tools nearly as often as my HSS stuff. It does require more sharpening and touch-ups but the Carbon Steel tools seem to come off the grinder with a slightly better edge. This may be due to my lousy sharpening abilities..but I usually use my carbon tools for finishing cuts.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

very nice score!
    I found a set complete of older craftsman tools like that at a yard sale a few months ago ....i use them all the time...and ya u do have to sharpen them more often then HSS but i like the razor edge that i can get on them..
    I have found that i can get a cleaner sharper edge on them on a !" belt sander then on the grinder.
    I set up a 1 inch belt sander with a slide bar like a wolverine set up and a 120 grit belt...I can get a razor edge easily and dont grind so much tool away ..alot less heat build up also ...i think it works really well ..

bob

If my memory serves me, and lately it doesn't, those were made by Greenlee. Who also made Delta's turning tools during that same time frame. Good score! I love my older sets for the more delicate cuts. Word of caution though, the tools back then were made for mainly spindle work so be careful if you decide to use them on bowl work.