Thread: Exhibit, Show Pictures

Exhibit, Show Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of a show I did last weekend. The glaring light was removed before the show started. As you can see I had peppermills, confetti lights, bottle stoppers, and bowls for sale. I considered it successfull 'cause I got out with my shirt on and sold a few items. As always your comments are welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 12-07-2007 at 1:46 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glen don't take this the wrong way, because I am fighting the same problem myself...
    It seems a little cluttered - too busy for anyone to focus on the individual pieces.
    Bihn Pho is reported to have said that you should put out one piece at a time... When you sell that one, put out another. I guess if you sell for enough zeros, you COULD do that, but...
    I want to show all of my latest work, all my best work, all the things I "just want to get rid of" and stuff I have in process.
    My wife keeps me in check to some degree, but I sneak stuff up when she isn't looking.
    Your overall display is very nice and well laid out.
    Change One Thing

Thanks for your remarks George, but Bin would starve to death with his high priced work at this show. I left some of my high priced works at home, and covered the tables with probably to much of my lower priced pieces. It is like fishing, you must match your bait for the fish you are trying to catch. It is difficult for me not to put out a lot when they will only walk by one time, and I paid so much for the space.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I like your setup Glenn! You sure have some nice work! Doesn't seem to busy to me - everything out in the open and accessible! Glad you came out on the plus side!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like that setup, Glenn, and that display!
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Glenn, I think you're probably being modest about how well you did. I see lots of great pieces there. I too like your setup. Not to cluttered in my opinion for that type show. Are you going to start doing these shows on a regular basis?

Thanks, I only do 2 shows a year now down from 4. I have a couple of dealers and that is about all the work I care to do.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Glenn

I think George is absolutely right but in the same vain as the neighbor kid telling me I should quit chewing Skoal, it ain't likily to happen. It's the nature of the animal. We do these shows to raise a few bucks to spend on the abyss, to see what people like, and spend some time sharing our passion. If we were like Binh and had a signature look, a reputation and a established following; 'less is more' logic would certainly work.

I would make a different suggestion for your set-up. On the white panels of the shelving units you use to support your long shelves post something. Maybe your Bio or artist statement, list of upcoming events, picture of you in the shop suggesting the process or a blow up of your business card. That vertical space is excellant 'customer education' space.

I did 4 shows in 2007. 2 good, 2 bad. Learn and move on.

Overall your set up is very nice.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

I like the display. From a customer perspective I would feel good about it. It is organised and has a good flow and progression from on theme to the next.
    Congratulations on the success of the show.
    What was the best sellers there.
    Thanks

Drat. I have to start this again. something interfered and wiped away 30 minutes of thought. Just like life. Sneeze too hard and you have to start everything over again because you've forgotten your name and your mission. Let alone your favorite color.

I tend to agree with George. I don't want to say cluttered, though. I'm going for the same look with less merchandise, but for very different reasons. A couple of questions, hopefully to provoke some thought and come conversation.

I hear your thoughts about not knowing that particular show and using bait appropriate to your venue. I thought about suggesting that maybe you were chumming the waters, but I won't go there.

Q1: Is this show more of a flea market mentality? Are they expecting nothing but bottom dollar deals and Chinese knock-offs?

Q2: What would happen if you put out only a few pepper mills? A sure representation of size variations, and a couple of the species that you have on hand. Then maybe add a little table sign telling why your mills are superior--latest technology, ceramic grinder not steel, quality US made mechanism, left handed vs. right handed, whatever makes yours GREAT) and that you have other species available, just ask.

The angle that I'd argue for is that what I see are way too many decisions that have to be made. My wife of 36 years next month is missing a chromosome, the one that allows her to make decisions! I love her lots, but her indecision can drive me crazy. A number of years ago, we went for lunch with one a friend who is similarly afflicted with indecision. We went to a certain R-oast B-eef fast food place for a "quick" meal. It took them 25 minutes to decide what to order! No joke, and no distractions. They just could not decide on lunch, even with that severely limited menu. Roast beef (plain, with cheese, or in barbecue sauce) on a bun (plain, sesame seeds, or onion flecks), with potatos (freedom fries, curly fries, or potato cakes), and a milk shake. My honey at least knew what flavor of shake she wanted and that it would be a small, but not so for our friend. TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES. It became a joke, but one that's never too far away from reality.

Most of your sales at these events are not casual, are they? People don't just walk up, fixate on one of your works and say, "Ooooh, I must have that one", right? You talk to them. Schmooze 'em up a bit. With a narrower menu, they might look at your five or six bowls out there and say, "Oh, if you only had something in cherry." And you can smile and say, "I finished one just this week and I've been saving one very special cherry bowl for someone with very special taste. It must be YOU!" You reach under the table into your trove and pull out a bowl that has her name written all over it. It's special to her/them. No one else at the show has seen this one. They are privy to something very special. DING, DING, DING, DING.

The hidden stock thing is a powerful thing. Marketing professionals talk to vendors a lot about how much stock is enough stock and how much turns you into a flea market, bargain shop and how little turns you into someone who has little or nothing to offer. You need stuff on your tables to show that you have interesting stuff, but not so much that the idea of decision making becomes a repellent. Folks need to see your objects as art, not as crafts. Cheap Art costs more than expensive crafts in my neighborhood. A few articles well placed and well lit--just as they would be in their homes--will start conversations which will more easily culminate in sales.

One man's opinions. Other thoughts and responses??

And, I, too, like the general flow of things, but still think you'd be better served by the "less is more" philosophy of display.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Well, I thought they looked great "in person." And good to meet you Glenn.

Folks, it was an Arts and Crafts show with 300 exhibitors, paid admission and parking. Only a few other turners, thankfully in separate buildings; only Glenn's and one other were worth a damn IMHO. I couldn't get near the place on Saturday afternoon because of heavy traffic; had better luck on Sunday.

Joe

Thanks Joe, it was nice to meet and talk to you. I wish we could spent more time together. This show tries its best not to have any buy and sell, and it has very little high end expensive art. Like Joe says it is a good arts and crafts show. If fact they had over 700 applications for exhibitors and choose about 300 to show their wares. These exhibitors are more than the pop gun craftsman, and I am considered lucky to be picked. I appreciate your comments, and I may cut back on my display items in the future.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia