Weird question for a woodworking forum but.... I need some advice.

My brother makes candles for a living. Upon pulling the pillar candles out of the molds they tend to have slightly uneven bottoms. So he saws the bottoms off so they will stand up straight.

He is currently using a neighbors tablesaw with the standard miter that comes with it. For most of the candles he has to make two passes because some of them are 6" tall.

DANGEROUS! DANGEROUS! DANGEROUS!

I'm afraid he's in for an accident one of these days.

As you might imagine he does not make a whole lot as a candlemaker.

I would like to purchase a bandsaw for him to get the job done in a much safer manner.

Grizzly has a Meat Cutting bandsaw for sale that has a sliding table and a 9" cutting height. This sounds perfect from the standpoint that it will handle any size candle he makes and the sliding table would not only make it quite safe but prevent the candle from getting scuffed from pushing it across the table.

However -- when I asked Grizzly about it their response was that they had never heard of cutting candles with a bandsaw before and could not recommend it.

Are they just trying to cover their butts?

I think this should work, but I thought I would run it past you guys before plunking down $350.

Thanks guys.

Jeff Skory