Thread: Questions about burl veneer

Question Questions about burl veneer

While at the recent Woodworking Show, I couldn't resist the 80% off sale on exotic veneer, and got a bunch of walnut, maple, myrtle and madrone burl veneer. (Stealth gloat). None very large, about 12X12 inches. Since burl veneer is very brittle, crumbly, and not very flat, it needs to be flattened prior to glue up. I vaguely remember reading about the process a few yearsa ago but can't come up with the article in any "back issues" of magazines,etc. It involved wetting the veneer and gently clamping with platens and cauls using craft paper, and changing the paper daily until dry. Has anyone done this before? I know some of you are wizards with veneer. Do you use plain water? Glycerin? or some other magic brew?

Mark

Try this link. http://www.vacupress.com/forum/threa...=16004&posts=5

They really know what what they are doing I found out. Part way down the thread Darryl gives his method.

Jeff,
    Thanks. This is great. Either I didn't remember about the glue, or there are variations on the theme. I supect that's the case. Now to go get some glycerin and give it a try. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Mark