Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AntiVirus recommendations?

AntiVirus recommendations?

What do you recommend for an antivirus program? Has anyone used that Microsoft OneCare application? If so, what do you think of it?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nod32 is good and efficient.

Whatever you do stay away from McAfee. It is a major resource hog. I have it on my laptop and even though I have a 3 year subscription, I will probably go to Nod32 like my other PC's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    What do you recommend for an antivirus program?
    MAC OS X.

Todd

Grisoft has the free AVG anti-virus program.

free AVG anti-virus program.

free AVG anti-virus program.

I use AVG on 1 computer. It may do its job but I do not like it.

I seem to have NO control of it. Like when, which disk and if, it will scan the disks. Maybe I can pay them something and get control but I have not explored that option.

Anxious to see what others think is a good one.

I use PC-CILLIN. I've tried many programs over the last few years and PC-cillin is the only one that works well and does annoy me by bogging up the computer's resources.

Instigator...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    I gave up on the pay versions of AV software. There are several free versions that are actually BETTER than what you pay for. The 3 leading free are AVG, Avast and Comodo. Vendors like McAfee and Norton seem to think if they add "features" to the for pay versions that are not available in free versions that they can get you to pay. These so called "features" only add bloat to you system. Both Norton and McAfee do this to extreme and almost always slow your computer considerably. However, if you think you need to pay for AV software, PCcillion or Panda are both pretty good.
    Both AVG and Avast have "pro" versions that you can pay for if you choose (which I have done) but it is not really necessary.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have to constantly fix computers that have Mcafee installed. Its a pain.

I like Nortons. It does a good job.
    One good turn deserves another

What do you recommend for an antivirus program? Has anyone used that Microsoft OneCare application? If so, what do you think of it?

Mike
    Due to Norton causing many issues on my machine(and I've used Norton for Years), I switched over to Microsoft OneCare and I like it a LOT better. It's much more seamless than Norton, and works well with Vista and XP. $49.95 per year covers licensing and PC protection for up to 3 machines.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thumbs up spydoctor ~

very honest application and easy to use- includes all 4 features of protection- my friends PC went on him- the HD- we think it is because of one of the 149 infections and 6 Trojans that he let in the door unknowingly - this removed all of them and a few more , but unfortunately it was to late-So it's $39.00 but well worth the protection. you can run the hyperlink below and order from there if you like the product- office depot also carries spydoctor as well- same price, just run the hyperlink to see what or if you have any infections- it will find them- but will not delete them until you buy the copy - we tested the honesty of this program- I have CA security and have no infections- nothing ,and when we ran it on my system it came up with a big goose egg- so - they are not messing around by putting pseudo viruses on your computer and are legitimate in our opinion. it does everything they have to say about their product and did a great job of cleaning a messy PC up.
    http://www.pctools.com/spyware-docto...FQOCZAodBxjZ7w
    Brian

Mike
    I have to agree with Todd on this one....OS X is the bomb! I have used nothing but Apple products since the early 90's (1992) and have never owned a PC in my home. Never had a virus.

Post No operating system ~

is invulnerable to receiving a virus - I think the question in this thread is what anti-virus software would we recommend to use or are using at the moment. what operating system should I use was not mentioned in this thread? we all have a preference for certain PC's understandably- but it's a matter of personal preference-

FYI~ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    is invulnerable to receiving a virus - I think the question in this thread is what anti-virus software would we recommend to use or are using at the moment. what operating system should I use was not mentioned in this thread? we all have a preference for certain PC's understandably- but it's a matter of personal preference-

FYI~ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/

Brian
    Sorry - I'm running Vista Home Premium on an IBM heritage laptop PC. Any anti-virus software recommendations for that OS is what I'm looking for.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

AVG is my recommendation and it's not a system pig
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...