Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AntiVirus recommendations?

Avast is good as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Sorry - I'm running Vista Home Premium on an IBM heritage laptop PC. Any anti-virus software recommendations for that OS is what I'm looking for.

Mike
    I run Avast on a couple PC's and it seems to not cause problems and doesn't seem to be a system pig. It did warn about an attack one time but didn't let the malware be malicious. I also just bought Fix-It utilities which includes Trend Micro Antivirus. It's more of a pain--I normally work from a restricted account. I need to be logged on as administrator to update the virus and spyware updates. I could change the permissions on the restricted account but it seems to me that would nullify the advantage of a restricted account. Avast will automatically download updates even when logged on as a restricted user.

HTH

Curt

Blog Entries
    I highly recommend F-prot. I've used it for over 10 years starting in Windows 3.1 and it has never failed to protect my computer. The annual fee also gives you all the updates and the program never gets out of date even as you upgrade your system. It isn't a resource hog, in fact you rarely can tell if it is running.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've got 3 laptops and 1 desktop to deal with and have AVG free on all of them.
    One of the laptops has Vista for an OS, and AVG has a version for Vista, but at the time I loaded it the AVG antispyware was not compatable. So I use Adaware for the antispyware. They both work very well and automatically update for free.
    The only thing about the free version is that it is set up to automatically run a virus scan at 8:00 am. You can't change this with the free version, but you can if you choose to buy it.
    I have repaired a few computers buy loading AVG free on to them and running a scan. Fixed one that had Mcafee on it, and all Mcafee did was direct him to buy additional software to get rid of the virus.
    Hope this helps.

I agree with Todd Birch!

I've been running Macs since 1986 and have NEVER had to buy antivirus protection..... Hmmmm.

The same company that now dominates the MP3 world has been making the most stable personal computer platform in history! Switch and you'll wonder why you stayed with Windows so long!

FWIW, I had to buy a Windows machine (a Dell) to run a program for my business. It took me 2 1/2 hours, with a technician from HP on the line, to hook up the HP printer that it literally took me 10 minutes to configure to run on OSX! My question is: Why Bother? Life is too short to be spending all your time on the phone with tech support! Buy a Mac and never look back!

Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    MAC OS X.

Todd
    Don't kid yourself ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I've run licensed Norton AV for many years. I think I've gotten hit 2 or 3 times in the last 7 years or so. As my job takes my connectivity where few go, my exposure is much greater than an average user.

Most problems with AV products come from improper setup for YOUR requirements. The defaults and 'generalized' profiles don't cut it. Assess your online habits and tailor the product of your choice to fit. Every now and then, one will get in under the wire on me (like Nimda a few years back). Being a licensed user I received the fix and full instructions within 24 hours of being hit. The other couple times (its been a while . . . 1 maybe 2 times) a simple "Live Update" cleaned everything up.

I was on a job where the company ran McAfee for about a year and they seemed to have issues (I kept my own Norton license). We tried Sophos in the University System but, one thing about Universities . . . they're full of clever kids and Sophos wasn't up to the challenge and had a high administrative impact (read - "pain to keep current").

If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . so I'm still on Norton. No association. I've just watched folks change AV software like socks over the years and I just keep plugging along.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-08-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hooker View Post
    I agree with Todd Birch!

I've been running Macs since 1986 and have NEVER had to buy antivirus protection..... Hmmmm.

The same company that now dominates the MP3 world has been making the most stable personal computer platform in history! Switch and you'll wonder why you stayed with Windows so long!

FWIW, I had to buy a Windows machine (a Dell) to run a program for my business. It took me 2 1/2 hours, with a technician from HP on the line, to hook up the HP printer that it literally took me 10 minutes to configure to run on OSX! My question is: Why Bother? Life is too short to be spending all your time on the phone with tech support! Buy a Mac and never look back!

Scott
    If you own a "newer" Apple product... The ones with the new Intel chip, there are people on the internet that are saying you can take a PC with the Intel chip and load and run Mac OS X on a PC, and throw "windows" out the window!

8. I've been using the free AVG for years on all my computers (4) and like it. I have it set up to do an auto update every morning. I know it works because it has found and taken care of viruses.
    A good firewall is also a must. Try ZoneAlarm. It's also free.

I use Zonealarm Pro.

I started out using the free version of Zonealarm as a firewall and later after I got frustrated with Norton, I went to Zonealarm Pro which has a anti-virus and anti-spyware. It's the cat's meow!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Zone Alarm Security Suite for 4 years now. Used McAfee for several years and hated the update system. Used Norton for quite a while but had problems with it conflicting with other AV software's hidden files that I couldn't locate and remove. Switched to the free Zone Alarm and got rid of all of the hated pop-ups. That made me a loyal follower. Now I subscribe to two years at a time for 2 computers.
    David B

Norton.
    firewall and internet security and antivirus.

For a while Norton went through a buggy period when the product could not be removed from your system you'd spend days in RegEdit clearing your registry keys. Then you'd learn to make a Norton Free copy of the registry and keep that for a registry back up. Finally Norton made a removal tool that works.

I've used AVG for years with no real issues. I do believe the constantly highly rated one is pc-cillin from Trend Micro. They also have a free online scanner that's top notch as well.

I've never used their installed product, but people I know in IT departments always seem to run this on their personal stuff. Might be worth a look. Google for Trend Micro and you'll find it.

Brian, nice link, so what's that make the numbers, Virus for Mac's -1, PC's -60,000,000 Hardly anything to brag about
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Post Scott,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I've used AVG for years with no real issues. I do believe the constantly highly rated one is pc-cillin from Trend Micro. They also have a free online scanner that's top notch as well.

I've never used their installed product, but people I know in IT departments always seem to run this on their personal stuff. Might be worth a look. Google for Trend Micro and you'll find it.

Brian, nice link, so what's that make the numbers, Virus for Mac's -1, PC's -60,000,000 Hardly anything to brag about
    Bragging? I don't think you and I are on the same page. for me to sit here and say get a HPDV6000 and you'll never look back would be a foolish comment. my point was there are +/- to every computer and operating system- Mac's have this, PC's don't . PC's have this and Mac's don't- it goes on and on and on- I am in no means familiar entirely with Mac's at all- very nice Computers, very nice indeed.. and i have used them- the graphics are very clear and I was impressed with the Mac- very much! It is up to the individual to take a look at all and make an educated decision at that point. I wouldn't mind owning a Mac at all- they are very good for any graphics and publication documents- very well done - to me, again , this is my opinion- the software for Mac's are expensive and that was the draw back for me-along with IT transferring information - most businesses and individuals have PC's because of the transfer of information on the net ~ http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...877#post713877

I don't think my laptop is better than any other out there on the market - if anything it is pretty basic- but that's what I was after - economically easy to update,add software and just do what I ask of it without going insane with problems just getting things to work. Just my opinion Scott, that's all- I wish I had your Mac's graphics -honestly- but that comes with a price and some limitations to me.
    Have a great day Scott ~
    football day!-yee haa,
    Brian

It was a joke Brian, hence the smiley face

I don't own a Mac either, so my Mac has no graphics
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

15. AVG is a great Anti Virus program, from my experience. They are at grisoft.com. Free or paid version. We used to have Norton then McAfee before downloading AVG. Never had a problem since AVG. Good Luck, Bill