Thread: Problem with new 1014 jet

Problem with new 1014 jet

After turning two pens and blowing the antler dust off I started to turn a maple burl pen last night and she wouldn't spin. I removed the belt and the motor seemed to turn fine. checked the head and she was stiff the lock was not engauged. I sprayed around the shaft with carb cleaner installed the belt and she took off so. I then sprayed her with a little penitration oil. then read the instructions LOL witch didnt' give any maintenance info on this part. Could this have been that shipping gunk? I'm thinking call the 1-800 # I got it from sears and from issues on a table saw i had I dont want to waste my time dealing with them again on repairs. think i'd rather replace the parts myself is warrenty will let me. Anyone ever delt with jet on warrenty?

Blog Entries
    David I have not had to deal with Jet on any warranty issues but there are other here that have IIRC Jet is pretty good about these issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

David,

If you've to the Jet 1014, there is a problem/minor annoyance with the switch. A portion of the switch removes to make it more child safe. remove the switch wipe the contacts and re-insert.

If this is the Variable Speed 1014, there may be other problems but for the standard Jet the above is usually the issue.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by David Wilhelm View Post
    I removed the belt and the motor seemed to turn fine. checked the head and she was stiff the lock was not engauged.
    David,
    If the motor runs, then it is not the switch. If you removed the belt and the spindle doesn't turn freely by hand, you should call Jet to get a replacement. Jet has been very good at service, even for out of service machines.
    Otherwise, check your belt tension. Or some foreign objects prevented the motor to tension the belt.

Gordon

Anothe possibility

Check out the handwheel. It can get screwed on too tight. It is LEFT hand threads! There is a sprung washer between the handwheel and spindle. Loosen the 2 set screws in the handwheel and back it off slightly to release some tension on the washer. Retighten the setscrews and try it. If you use the handwheel to slow/stop the lathe, the handwheel can get screwed on too tight and make it hard for the spindle to turn freely. You can probably figure out how I know this .
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Thanks to all. Don. You were dead on. I tore into the head Sunday after lunch and found that to be the problem. Once I had taken the set screws out and backed the hand wheel off she turned free as a bird so I put 2 and 2 together and turned a killer looking maple burl pen thanks again all.