Thread: bench drill press height?

Question bench drill press height?

I want to make a drill press table. My drill press is a 12 inch model. Can any one suggest an overall height that my press should be? My drill press is 37.5 inches in height overall without a table. Right now it is on the floor and I want to get it up off the floor. I am going to put wheels on one side of the table with legs on the other so that I can move it around like a dolly. If anyone has a better idea, I would be greatfull! I need to make it mobil enough to move it from time to time. I keep it inside the house right now because there is no room in my shop (shed). I would want it mobil enough to move it from inside the house to the shed from time to time until I clean up the shed or enlarge it (preferably enlarge and clean up for more shop tools).
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

If wou make the table the height of your workbench...it could help you support long pieces...since it will be mobil that seems practical. On most drill presses the table raises and lowers....so make sure when the chuck is about 8" clear of the table ...you are at workbench heigth. This allows for a drill bit and some clearance over an 8/4 piece.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Blog Entries

Bench top

My benchtop drill press is mounted on a 30" tall work table. That height results in a comfortable working height for me (5'11"). You may want to make yours higher or lower depending upon your height.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I built mine to where the top of the drill press is level with the top of my head. (I have a 15" JET, which weighs about 160 lbs. and it's height alone is 39" - my table is 29" tall with the wheels). Everything is glued and screwed together, so it's strong/stable. Front is open and I plan to put a drawer in the upper part, (and maybe a door?).

Last edited by Glenn Fry; 03-30-2013 at 2:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Fry View Post
    I built mine to where the top of the drill press is level with the top of my head.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest

+2. That's right about where mine comes to. I mounted mine on a Dewalt mobile planer table, with 2 or 3 layers of 3/4" MDF added to the top to beef it up in the middle where the DP is bolted down.

Mine is set so the table is in focus through my bi-focals w/out having to tilt my head back.
    I didn't plan it that way - it just ended up like that.

All I was after in the beginning was there would be enough room for the drill press to clear when I "flipped" the top of the cart.
    My lunch box planer in mounted on the "flip" side.
    At first I was afraid t was too high - but - once I discovered the bifocal part, I was happy it ended up like that.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I set my drill press on the top of a bench and like the height but now I need a ladder to get to the belts to change speeds. Guess I will build a stand just a bit lower for it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214