Thread: This isn't round yet... Except for the big buldge on one side

This isn't round yet... Except for the big buldge on one side

Score! My boss just brought me a nice chunk of spalted water oak and oh my goodness does this thing have some figure to it! The hair on my neck stood straight up when he opened the box. I will try to post some pictures tonight when I get home.

My question is this: The tree was originally downed back in February '07. It has been sitting on the ground since then. He cut the large knot off the trunk this past weekend. Do I have to wait any longer before I use it? It is my guess that if I have to wait to use it, I must seal it but I would love to cut some of it up now and use it for some Christmas gifts. What should I do? I don't want it to split once I turn it.
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

If you want to turn dry, you'll have to wait a year per 1 inch of thickness. Some people (not me) have luck turning green and thin, the thing drys fast and warps into a cool shape, and others (not me) have luck rough turning green, and putting in a paper bag to gradually dry before re-turning.

On the other hand... if you have access to a kiln... well, probably not, but if so, I bet somebody here could help you with kiln drying wood.

Jump on it now.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Water oak is horrible stuff. I will dispose of the shavings, I mean the wood for you!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!