Thread: Arm-r-seal not drying/curing......HELP!!!

Arm-r-seal not drying/curing......HELP!!!

I have been using arm-r-seal on some game calls without issue....until this past weekend. I put a coat on a call on Saturday morning and a coat on another call yesterday morning and both are still tacky. The only thing different is increased humidity due to a winter storm. Is that my issue? If so, what can I do during increased humidity to help it dry/cure quicker. My shop is in my basement with a constant temp of about 68 degrees if that helps.

How old is the arm-r-seal you are using?
    Rob

Rob,

It may be 3 months old. I just used it throughout the last week with no issues.

What is the wood? That may be the key.

Certain oily woods, mostly exotics, do not let oil based finishes cure.

Both calls are segmented. One is olive and amboyna. The other is bocote and osage orange. The finish doesn't seem to be drying on any particular wood.

I don't have experience with those woods, but I'd treat them as if they were oily. Once approach is to wipe off the surface with a fast evaporating solvent to remove oil. Acetone is one recommendation, or lacquer thinner. Then finish as soon as the solvent evaporates, before the oil re-emerges. Some people argue that the solvent just pulls up the oil faster, but enough knowledgeable sources make the recommendation to make it worth a trial.

The other common recommendation is to apply a coat of shellac as a barrier. The varnish can then be applied over it.

acetone might work

if acetone does not work, you'll have to use shellac or an evaporating finish.

v/r

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Freeman View Post
    I have been using arm-r-seal on some game calls without issue....until this past weekend. I put a coat on a call on Saturday morning and a coat on another call yesterday morning and both are still tacky. The only thing different is increased humidity due to a winter storm. Is that my issue? If so, what can I do during increased humidity to help it dry/cure quicker. My shop is in my basement with a constant temp of about 68 degrees if that helps.
    You could try and put them in a good sized top vented box with a low watt bulb, that will dry the air in the box creating a less humid environment. Just don't go putting a flood light in a shoe box, that kinda thing. Or you can bring them up out of the basement and into the house where it should be less humid.
    Last edited by Ted Jay; 12-11-2007 at 3:45 PM.
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Hello,
    While I don't think humidity is the culprit here, I second Ted's idea of a box with a light bulb.
    The heat from the bulb will cause air to circulate in the box.
    I believe the root cause is a lack of air flow in the basement.
    The tip off would be " a constant 68* F".
    Still air causes the solvents to collect around the surface. That layer of solvent charged vapor will keep the finish soft.
    I'm thinking that if you get some air movement, the finish should harden in fairly short order.

Arm-R-Seal is a quick drying finish (~ 2 hrs IIRC). Typical fast drying materials like that use a "fast flash" type solvent - benzene or a benzene derivitive, or tolulol for a fast set. Normal drying is via evaporation of slower solvents (normally mineral spirits).
    It's not uncommon for the fast flashing solvents to collect around the surface in still conditions and inhibit the slower solvents drying ability.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try a couple and see what fixes the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
    if acetone does not work, you'll have to use shellac or an evaporating finish.

v/r

dan
    I had the same problem using seal a cell followed by arm r seal on bocote and bloodwood. The arm r seal wasn't dry after a week. On the next batch,I tried the acetone wipe right before I applied the seal a cell. Worked like a charm. Thanks to all you for the advice.