Thread: What to ask Santa for

What to ask Santa for

My wife wants to know what I want for Christmas. I am getting started bowl turning and have a Talon chuck & a Sorby 3/8 fingernail bowl gouge. What would be good to add to this for a beginner bowl turner? Maybe a scraper? A termite tool? Different bowl gouges? What should be on the list???

Assuming you are all set for sharpening (grinder, wheels, jigs, etc) I would take a look at a 1/4" bowl gouge. I bought one after watching a Jimmy Clewes video and its become one of my new favorite tools for light finishing cuts.

Jeff - assuming that you have everything Paul listed and also some means of dust protection for you... then I would suggest a thick round nose scraper. There are times when only a scraper can get to the inside of a bowl and if you are just starting out - you don't need any more challenges than necessary!

Have fun turning and looking forward to seeing some of your bowls real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What are you using to sand with right now?

If your answer is "My Hand".... Then I gots a suggestion.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    I would take a look at a 1/4" bowl gouge. I bought one after watching a Jimmy Clewes video and its become one of my new favorite tools for light finishing cuts.
    Size doesn't matter as much as the grind. Jimmy was using a ¼" British standard size which is equivalent to a 3/8" American standard.
    If the your tool rest won't allow your tool to get close to the bowl interior shape, you will have chatter with small tool.
    Stuart Batty was doing the same thing with a long 5/8" or 3/4" bowl gouge at the rim.

Gordon

I have to recommend a Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge. Just got mine and thy are NICE!

John's on the right track ,random - power sanding bowls is the way to go , look at the systems available or build your own.Some of us use inertia systems we designed/built and are quite happy with the " noiseless" approach, as I hve to use the parts for turning and flat (ugh) stuff....so it has to be the dual approach, and nothing takes out the tear out like a Milwauke VS 3000 rpm hand drill w/2" 80 grt sanding disc, nope nuthin...
    John 3:16

I have the Woodcraft slow grinder, with a Wolverine setup (still need the dressing attachment). I have a dust collector with a small hood for the lathe, & wear a dust mask also. I am also looking at the Trend Airshield.
    For sanding, beside hand sanding, I have a drill set up with a 2 or 3 inch donut cushion & wavy edge disks.
    I have looked at most of the tools available, but don't have a good feel for which ones are basic, must have, or which ones are more advanced, better to wait for more experience.
    Also whatever gadgets are out there that are actually useful, not gimicks.

Jeff, I would think about a Beall buffing system. Get the single wheel system, not the 3-on-1.

If you've already got the chuck and Wolverine the Beall is the next item I would consider an "essential" (aside from the lathe and tools) for bowl turners. You'll be amazed at the difference it can make in your finished pieces.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!