Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal height for TS?

Ideal height for TS?

Of course, personal preference is a major factor, but I was wondering what you all's opinion is what is the right height for a TS. The height is increased when a moving system is installed, of course, so, does the factory allow a plus/minus height range for personal adjustments? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    Of course, personal preference is a major factor, but I was wondering what you all's opinion is what is the right height for a TS. The height is increased when a moving system is installed, of course, so, does the factory allow a plus/minus height range for personal adjustments? Thanks
    Ideal would depend on the person. Cabinet saws are 34", contractor saws are little taller.

TS Height

I'd make the height the same as your work bench. That way you can support long stock. Good Luck.
    Ken

Old rule of thumb for work surface, was the distance from the floor to your knuckles. This may be dated. But over that last 10 years the height of vanities has increased by a couple of inches. It was referred to as the "New Comfort Height" at the time. I think the average height in North America has increased over the last two generations.

Have not seen or heard of cabinet saws that allow you to change the work surface height. You could do so but it would require fabricating platforms of some type,

Greg

For me, it's 36", which happens to be the normal hight for my machine.

I did note in the latest issue of Woodshop News that General has brought out a line of machines at much lower heights for folks with disabilities. My first thought was that they could also be nice for folks of smaller stature. Premium prices, however, likely due to the lower demand. The table saw, for example, has a 26" table height, and is usable by folks in a wheelchair. For those needing it higher, but lower than the 34-36" typical of standard machines, raising the shorter machine up is pretty easy. (One could also cut down a cabinet or contractor's style saw, although that's a bit of fabrication with the former)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As usual, the answer is it depends.
    Personal preference and the shop surroundings. Me being taller than the average Joe, I like things a wee bit higher than "average".
    My TS height is ok being on a mobile base, it's about 2" higher than "stock".
    I have made a 2" riser to put in the mobile base of my jointer lifting it about 4" from the factory height, cause I like it better that way. If not my lower back screams at me after awhile if I am posted there for awhile like when doing initial face & edge jointing on a stack o' lumber.

Greg

I am tall (6'4"), so I built a rolling cart for my contractor saw to sit on, which puts the top of the table at 40". That's about 4" higher than the original height and is much easier on my back.

My router table sits in the left wing of my saw, so the additional height is great for that, too.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post

Being short ( 5' 7"), a cabinet saw is ideal height for me.

When I had a contractor saw, it was a bit high, although I didn't notice it at the time.

Same for the bandsaw, when I went from a 14" to an 18", the table was lower, and I find it more comfortable.

Regards, Rod.

I set all my table tops and Power tools to 42" height. I am only slightly tall at 6'3".

I find this height to be ideal, whereas I don't need that slight bend in my back, which after while, starts to ache...

I think power tool makers simply have not caught up to the taller population over the years. The plumbing industry just recently made the handicap toilet height of 17" the new standard height toilet. I feel that was 30 years overdue. Now, standard 14" toilets will become for kids only...

I'm 6'3" too, had two back surgerys, 42" for me too. Just can't bend like I used too.

Norm, my back has been terrible the past few years. I have finally learned that a "slight lean" for extended periods is more injurious than picking up heavy objects (within reasonable limits here) Ever since i have controlled the slight extended leans, I have been doing better.

I also realize how beneficial a neoprene back brace is....not for support, but rather to keep the back warm when working in cool or colder weather. (anything less than 70 deg.) A cold back is always on the edge of being injured, at least from my experience. Of course, I am referring to lower back pain, not upper.

The TS is a unique tool in this regard, as there is a lot of distance between the edge of the table, and the blade, so you are forced to lean-in to finish a cut. If there is one table height I will add a few inches vs. other power tools, its the TS for this reason. Although, I don't cut sheets on the TS, if I did, I might reconsider. Its amazing the work-arounds we do when our bodies start failing us.

My Unisaw is 36 3/8" high & my Jointer fence top is just under that height because it sets behind of the TS & next to the end of my bench which is 36" high & also is my out-feed table for the saw. This creates my center piece work center of my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I'm 6'2" and all the surfaces in my shop are 36" (based on my comfortable working height and my Craftsman 22114 TS) - your mileage may vary. My setup is VERY similar to Barts (great minds think alike) - except in place of his assembly table, I have a router table.

I think the table top should be just above the Pork-N-Beans. DAMHIKT.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

The correct height is whatever is right for you. I mitered some 4x4's and cut a 1/2" deep x 2 1/2" wide rabbet in them and placed them under my TS base (griz 1023). That raised it to 37 1/2" which is perfect for me.

My band saw is a bit higher at 41" which allows me to see the cut line better plus I don't have to reach far to work there. The lathe (Jet 1236) has been raised 4 1/4" with 4x4's and 3/4" pads.

I'd suggest you get your saw at a comfortable height for you then alter your work bench/tables to match, It's a lot easier to change them than it is the saw.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln