Thread: 12" table saw blade: 30 or 40 tooth?

12" table saw blade: 30 or 40 tooth?

I'm getting ready to order a 12" Forrest blade for my table saw, and am leaning to the 40 tooth. I figure that the increased circumference will mean about the same number of teeth in the cut as a 10" when ripping. This will be used for 8/4+ hardwoods. Any thoughts?

(I'm going with Forrest as I have a 5/8" arbor - the other vendors charge for boring if not 1" on a 12 inch blade.)

Thanks for your input - Jim

Forrest blades are extremely good, but I wouldn't restrict myself just because of the bore diameter...it's pretty easy to bush a 1" bore down to 5/8", which opens up alot more choices.

For 8/4"+, I"d be inclined to go with the 30T. On the other hand, if you're up to bit of an experiment, I'd get both! The 40T Forrest Surface Planer blade with 1" bore is on sale thru Amazon for ~ $38 shipped w/"BLDPROMO" code. It's got a steep positive hook and has a similar geometry as the WWII. It's possible the side clearance is a bit different, but I've heard favorable reports from others that it cuts wood extremely well. It's such a good deal, that I'd be willing to give it a shot in addition to getting a 24T or 30T ripper.

Food for thought...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-14-2007 at 9:40 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Jim, just curious but what kind of table saw do you have? I'm sure you know this but not all saws can handle a 12" blade and I haven't heard of too many 12" table saws with 5/8 arbors....

I have a Rojek 315. It has a scoring arbor too but that's a future blade purchase, though only a maybe. I don't do much with plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bukoski View Post
    Jim, just curious but what kind of table saw do you have? I'm sure you know this but not all saws can handle a 12" blade and I haven't heard of too many 12" table saws with 5/8 arbors....
    My Mini-Max 12" saw has a 5/8" arbor too. I don't know whey they go to 5/8" when a 1" arbor is closer to the 30mm European standard they probably started at.

For 12" blades, I use a bushing as Scott mentioned. Right now I have a 10" blade in there but it barely and I mean barely cut 8/4 hard maple the other week. I guess the arbor is set lower than the usual cabinet saws.

Thank you all for your advice. Today I ordered a Ridge Carbide 40 tooth blade with a 1" arbor - they are going to afix a 5/8 bushing at no charge. Brian, if you carried the 12 inch blades I would have gone with Holbren, but when I take the dado plunge you'll get my order.

No problem Jim, I don't have the 5/8" bushings. I do have the 12" blade though just never got around to putting it on the web.

Interesting Brian...I run a 10" Forrest on my S315WS and often cut 8/4 material with no problem. Since I had the WW-II blades (including a brand new one that was my spare), I couldn't see replacing them with the larger 12" cutters until they are no longer servicable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought it was odd too Jim. I should probably take a look and see if there is anything funny going on.