Thread: Missionb Style bed question

Missionb Style bed question

I have been asked to build a Mission Style Bed for a friend. It will be a twin with box spring. the wood will be QSWO where required for the appropriate look. The finish will be traditionally dark. the question is this...What is the appropriate top rail (above the slats) width? I have drawn several virtual models and a width equal to the narrowest width of the arched bottom rail looks best on the screen. However I think that this may be too heavy in real life. The shown width is 4 inches in the pictures. The bottom rail is 6 inches width with a narrow section width of 4 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like those pics. I will change the top rail in the drawing and try it out. Thanks

Better have a mortiser or like using a chisel!

Scott,
    Just happen to have one in the spare bedroom that’s almost exactly like your sketch. Both the head & foot caps are 4¾ wide. The head is 49½ high and the foot is 35”.
    In your sketch, the footboard looks too low in relation to the headboard. - JMHO
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-14-2007 at 7:26 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    The bed I just finished has the rails the same width, but since the top has a curve to it, that lightens the top rail IMO.

Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Here is a Stickley original, again with the lower rails significanly larger:

I think it presents better as A&C style is fairly robust
    Last edited by George Bregar; 12-15-2007 at 9:42 AM.

Misson bed design 2

I looked through all of your responses and I made a few changes. The headboard height is now 49" and the footboard height is 30" (based on stickley.com site) and the top rail is narrowed. I tried another version with wide slats (fewer mortices) but I like this better. The design was overwhelmingly approved by the purchaser and I already have the check for the materials. I thought about adding a false through tenon to hide a bed bolt on the headboard and footboard. what do you think? I really like the sturdiness of bed bolts on the other beds I have built.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rollins View Post
    I thought about adding a false through tenon to hide a bed bolt on the headboard and footboard. what do you think? I really like the sturdiness of bed bolts on the other beds I have built.
    I was concerned about the bed bolt hole messing with the looks too (see my pic above), but after I drilled for it, I didn't think it was distracting and I sure do like the sturdiness it provides.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I looked through all of your responses and I made a few changes. The headboard height is now 49" and the footboard height is 30" (based on stickley.com site) and the top rail is narrowed. I tried another version with wide slats (fewer mortices) but I like this better. The design was overwhelmingly approved by the purchaser and I already have the check for the materials. I thought about adding a false through tenon to hide a bed bolt on the headboard and footboard. what do you think? I really like the sturdiness of bed bolts on the other beds I have built.
    Sounds like a good idea. What are the dimensions of the legs. Going 2 1/2 sq would help you keep the head/foot board tenons long for a solid joint, and better allow a bolt. Are you going to make quadralinear legs for four QS faces? I used a lock miter joint...not easy but worth it.

By the way, if you want to really pop the medullary rays on the QSWO, here is a great way:

1) Trans-tint water based die to tone the wood. I used a 1/3 Reddish brown to 2/3 Dark Mission Brown in distilled water. Adjust to desired tone.

2) Rub out with BLO and 0000 steel wool. This will eliminate the raised grain, and the medullary rays are much harder so it will lighten them, while adding depth to the rest.

3) Barrier coat of #2 dewaxed blond shellac

4) Highlight the grain with a dark oil based gel stain. I used Dark Walnut. WIpe on across the grain with a stiff brush, wipe off with the grain.

5) Barrier coat of #2 dewaxed blond shellac if you are going to topcoat with a waterbased clearcoat, or rubbed shellac itself is a great final finish.

Here is what it looks like...the flash brightens it somewhat:

Please post finished project photos.
    Last edited by George Bregar; 12-18-2007 at 11:11 PM.

headboard and footboard

Try 45" and 30" for headboard and footboard height.

thats what i did for my mission style king sized bed. You might find 49 a tad too tall and a little disproportionate.

v/r

dan
    Building my own Legos!

49" was pretty tall on the full size print. I think I will go back to 45 as suggested.
    George your recipe is just up my alley i have all the components in my finish cabinet already! I love the color and the rays on your sample. I was going to try the ammonia tent technique but this would be much easier.
    George, I have a woodrat for dovetails and mortises...with a good pattern off the tablesaw with incra fence the mortices are pretty easy. I did a sample board tonight with red oak in about 10 minutes for 18 routed mortices 3/4" deep 3/4" long 1/4" wide. I will have to square the corners though...
    Dan thanks for your help I did as you suggested.

George your recipe is just up my alley i have all the components in my finish cabinet already! I love the color and the rays on your sample. I was going to try the ammonia tent technique but this would be much easier.
    George, I have a woodrat for dovetails and mortises...with a good pattern off the tablesaw with incra fence the mortices are pretty easy. I did a sample board tonight with red oak in about 10 minutes for 18 routed mortices 3/4" deep 3/4" long 1/4" wide. I will have to square the corners though...
    Dan thanks for your help I did as you suggested.
    Well, not really my recipe, a tweak of a Homestead Finishing approach. I was going to fume too, but really didn't want to deal with the ammonia issue, and often staining to even out the color is required. I like the result.

I have a Jet mortiser, and probably will be getting a Grizzley unit, want the x-y and tilt head. No squaring corners of course, and I even used it to pin the tenons with square pegs.

Be sure to post some pics!

Scott,

Here is a picture of a king size mission bed I built a little while ago.

The footboard is 32" and the headboard 50" high.

The top rails were 3 1/4 " with 2 topcaps.

Bottom rails were 6 1/2" and the arc was to 4 1/2"