Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my Router Table - Adding a Lift

Blog Entries

Upgrading my Router Table - Adding a Lift

I plan on upgrading my Router Table in the next few weeks (New Yankee Design) and I am currently using Rockler's Extra Large Router Plate that measures 9"x13" with a Dewalt DW-618 Router.

Here is a link to my router table set-up:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=yankee+router

I will be purchasing the PC 7518, but need to decide on a lift. The three I am considering at the moment are:
    1. Mast-R-Lift Router Lift
    2. Bench Dog 40-016
    3. Woodpeckers Quick-Lift
    One thing I'm finding is that all the router lift plate's are considerably smaller than my current router plate. Three questions:
    1. Are there any lifts out there with a plate 9x13" or larger?
    2. If I go with a smaller plate, how would you recommend adapting the table top to accomodate a smaller plate?
    3. What would your preference be if you were purchasing a new lift?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim,

I bought a PRL from WoodPecker a few years back, use my cordless drill to raise and lower the bit quickly. When I picked up my lift, I bought it as a factory refurb that was specified as minimal cosmetic flaws, to date I have not been able to find the flaw. I just looked at the WoodPecker site and they do not currently have any lifts in the refurb section, but since you already have a funtional system it may be woth the waiting and checking (refurbs are listed in the specials section).

Heather

Hi Tim,
    I'll toss in my $0.02 for the Jess'em one made for Incra. I bought a complete Incra RT package 'bout a year ago at a show. The lift is not exactly cheap, but with many machined parts you're paying for tight tolerances & it shows in the performance of the lift. I much prefer the precision of a lift.
    Now.. if only I could say the same for the darn table I bought from Incra,"droopy dog".

Greg

Have the BenchDog and love it. As far as I know, it's the heaviest one going and the inserts are more like a shaper than a typical router setup...also very heavy.

Unfortunately, due to the way that all the manufacturers make this stuff, it's hard to put a lift (or even an alternative flat plate) from a different manufacturer in the same hole. You may need to consider making a new router table top. Or, if you go with the BenchDog, consider their cast iron top and 4" finishing extension. That's what I have. Awesome.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would seriously consider the Jointech Smart Lift Pro (If it will fit your opening). I have had one going on 2 years. IMHO it is the best most accurate lift on the market. After you use one with a Digital Read Out for a while you will understand what I am talking about.

Good Luck

Alan

Blog Entries
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet but keep going back to the PRL. The auto carriage lock is one of the deciding factors. Only the Bench Dog gets a second look from me after lots of research when you compare all features; mass, stability. The minor details that keep the PRL in first place for me (YMMV) is that the BenchDog would require a new top (small plate) and you have to reach underneath to lock it (I understand some folks just don't lock it and it is OK).

I would listen to owners before I would listen to a 'planner' like myself though.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Assuming you want to keep the top you have on you router table, it is not difficult to make the hole for the lift plate smaller. Glue some hardwood into the existing hole, making it flush with the top. Use a template and cut a new recess for the lift plate in the hardwood. Viola, an adapted top for your new lift.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Well I had a benchdog

Can't say anything bad about it, it is the most durable, heavy, no quick release to got up and down, lots of screwing. l if I waws in a production shop I would buy this.

Now I have a woodpecker
    Love it Ligher weight (good for me since I move my table alot), built well, has a quickrealse so you don't need to screw it up and down all the time. also the threading is finer so it is easer to fine adjust and the inserts are top notch.

*** Next I am going to get a Jointech Smart Lift Pro. Whish I bought this instead of the woodpecker. It is well worth it to replacate cuts and know your hight, saves wood with test cuts and lots of time.

Hope this helps
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    Hi Tim,
    I'll toss in my $0.02 for the Jess'em one made for Incra. I bought a complete Incra RT package 'bout a year ago at a show. The lift is not exactly cheap, but with many machined parts you're paying for tight tolerances & it shows in the performance of the lift. I much prefer the precision of a lift.
    Now.. if only I could say the same for the darn table I bought from Incra,"droopy dog".

Greg
    Greg,

I feel your pain, hope that I can salvage the t-trac out of the table, will not even think of selling it to another woodworker.

Heather

I have the Bench Dog, very well made and built like a tank. No quick release but it goes up & down very fast with a drill/driver and pretty fast with the supplied speed wrench. I can see my Grandson (8 months old) using this one. I haven’t used your other two choices so I can’t compare.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the Benchdog/PC7518 combo and love it. I have run everything from small 1/4" bits to 3" raised panel bits in it and have never seen the need to tighten the lock screw down. This lift does not move once it is set.

As for the myth that you will be cranking yourself to death to raise and lower the bit on a Benchdog, that is just not true. It takes very little time and effort to raise or lower it for a bit change. The Benchdog is the best combination of strength and smooth operation that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    Well I had a benchdog

Can't say anything bad about it, it is the most durable, heavy, no quick release to got up and down, lots of screwing. l if I waws in a production shop I would buy this.

Now I have a woodpecker
    Love it Ligher weight (good for me since I move my table alot), built well, has a quickrealse so you don't need to screw it up and down all the time. also the threading is finer so it is easer to fine adjust and the inserts are top notch.

*** Next I am going to get a Jointech Smart Lift Pro. Whish I bought this instead of the woodpecker. It is well worth it to replacate cuts and know your hight, saves wood with test cuts and lots of time.

Hope this helps
    That Jointech locks sweet, but the insert is 9.24 X 11.74, the BenchDog CI table has a 8.25 X 11.25 opening, that would be a lot of grinding with my hand grinder, would it be worth it?
    It is impossible to learn something that you think you already know

I am not a carpenter, I am an artist that makes furniture and cabinets, everything that I make is a one off because I can't make two things alike.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for the information. Yesterday, I purchased the Mast-R-Lift at Rockler. While I was there, I also looked at the Jointech and, while the digital readout was cool and helpful, it also felt a little gimmicky. Furthermore, the lift mechanism's on both felt about the same, but the Mast-R-Lift looked much more beefier.

I also looked at the Woodpecker and Bench Dog in Comparison and did not care too much for the Woodpecker - it was the cheapest from a price stand-point, but also felt like the cheapest. The Bench Dog, on the other hand was one solid lift - heavy!!! It was installed in the bench dog cast iron top and as a package, was one of the best router lift/top combinations I've seen. If I were to buy it, I would want the top also, which would have added another $300 to the cost.

With all that taken into consideration, it was either the Mast-R-Lift or the Smartlift and since their operation was relatively equal in my eyes, I went with the Mast-R-Lift for 2 reasons:
    1. The Wixey Gauge was a nice feature, but the $40 premium wasn't worth it in my opinion, since I already have plenty of tools/methods of accurately settting up my bit height.
    2. I liked Mast-R-Lift's overall look and feel much better.
    In the end, the Mast-R-Lift, Bench Dog and Smartlift all were top quality lifts and could all be substitued with one another and I would have a great router setup.

Also, in case anyone is interested, the St. Louis Rockler has the 7518 on sale for $329 and includes a $50 gift card. They are also offering 20% off any single, regular priced item in the store (not including power tools). They let me apply the $50 gift card and the 20% off towards the lift, so I was able to walk out the door with a new 7518, Lift and 1/4" collet for the router for around $550, which included the taxes.

Also, the Mast-R-Lift only required a minor adjustment to my table to get it to fit. The existing recess was too wide, but not too tall, so I was able to increase the height by 1/4" and then added maple to both sides of the router plate to flush up the table recess to the plate. I also had to drop the recess by 1/8", but that was easy with a spiral bit.

Thanks again for all the advice. By the way, this thread is now officially a gloat!!! Here's the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made the attempt to salvage a router table top with a too large insert cutout a few years ago. I did what Dave described above. Since my table was laminated, the 3" strips of hardwood were different as far as friction went so it wasn't ideal. But with regular waxing it worked OK. It'll work until you can get around to making another, but I didn't want to keep mine that way permanently.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ..Unfortunately, due to the way that all the manufacturers make this stuff, it's hard to put a lift (or even an alternative flat plate) from a different manufacturer in the same hole...
    Jim is correct. I've been looking at routers, router tables, lifts "oh my" and can't find anything that will do what I'd like in a router table.

...Or, if you go with the BenchDog, consider their cast iron top and 4" finishing extension. That's what I have. Awesome...
    I've come to the conclusion that this is an excellent choice and the direction I'm leaning toward mainly because of all the complaints of sagging router table tops. Now I have to wait until I can fit it into my budget.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps