Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Cabinets - foundation lip

Like some, I'm of the idea to grab as much storage space as one can squeeze out of a space. So go the extra mile to get every little square inch of area or cubic inch of volume. As someone said, you only have to do it once so spend time now and you'll be happier down the road....

For my garage, I didn't do anything about the foundation "curbs." I simply pushed my bench up against it (and whatever else). None of my garage cabinets go to the floor because I need all the space ~48" and below to push various tools up against the wall to clear the center of the garage for an occasional car. Everything is on wheels in my shop...must be mobile! I look forward to the day when I can weld all my equipment to the floor but that is another house!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

I look forward to the day when I can weld all my equipment to the floor but that is another house!

Humm you are a strange guy , and like you said maybe you'll "grow" on me . But who in the heck wants a shop with a steel floor?

Or will you be using "weld"wood glue, what that other product Paul Harvey used to hawk , JB Weld Hoy vey, Pilfer Padilla Project , insert head shaking icon here

Blog Entries
    I went with option 1 in my shop but the footing is only about 4 1/2" high. I figure I lost a little vertical and gained a little floor space. I also ended up with an area under the cabinets that I use for seldom used item storage. at 8-plus inches you could line up a row of plastic bins to hold small items or stock items like bulk screws, jigs, etc.

Obviously the height needs to be adjusted so the tops are at an appropriate height so this robs you of interior height. The cutout gets you the interior height back if that is more important. In the end its your decision; if cabinet space is really important, take the time for the cutouts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not sure if will matter to you, but that garage slab is / should be sloped. So you'll need to level the cabinets as well.

I would hang the lowers because sometimes I like to hose out the garage and mop it, that way it doesnt do any damage to the cabinets.