Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table Saw Blade Height

In one of books about table saw the author is saying:

"When the blade is high, the cut is at its cleanest and most efficient"

I visited one of the shops (well, looks more like a factory) that they are cutting plywood, melamine and MDF sheets with 3 big sliders and they are running with the blade at full height.

When I asked why, he told me..."we are cutting here non-stop...if the blade is low the feed is slower and the blade may overheat and can deform but, when we are cutting 1/4" or thinner material, we use low blade because the material tend to vibrate up-down after it passes the blade"

I'm setting very high blade but I also use the guard and other devices to keep my hands far away from the blade...

I noticed that when I'm cutting 1¼" white Oak, the feed is easier and faster when the blade is at full height...but, I'm not an expert, just my impression...

niki
    027.jpg

Table Saw Blade Height

Fact is; the higher the blade is raised, the less of it is actually in the wood. Benefits of this are (1) less chance of a kickback because the blade pushes more down than back to you, (2) Less heat is generated, (3) cleaner cuts when cutting things like Plywood, MDF and Melamine surfaced materials, (4) shorter kerf/less waste on the underside of a piece when cutting a smaller piece from it.
    I'm confident there are probably more benefits but that 3 HP Veg-o-matic spinning at 4,000 RPM scares the beJesus outa me and I like to have it nicely tucked away when I'm near it. In truth, I never have the blade exposed when the saw is not being used.

It's not being paranoid. That thing really is out to get us.
    Carry on, regardless.

Jan,

For Freud blades we recommend 1/2 of a carbide tip above the material being cut. If you are using the correct blade for the application this will yield the best results. As Bruce Wrenn noted, 3 to 5 teeth working in the wood is the ideal when ripping (5 to 7 for crosscuts and sheet goods).
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I generally cut with the blade gullets clearing the work piece for a couple of teeth, but will vary it depending on the cut and my comfort level.
    Jim, I use the exact same method of a gullet or two clearing the top of the workpiece. I was at a Freud tool demo at our local tool store recently, and the Freud truck/demo guy smirked and told me I was wrong to use this method, and went on to tell me that the "correct" method was the "teeth of the saw blade just clearing the workpiece". He gave a free blade to some guy standing next to me who came up with the Freud rep's "correct" answer. I don't like the Freud rep's "correct" method, as I have had the workpiece want to lift when the blade teeth were barely clearing the workpiece. The Freud rep went on to trash everything that is made in China, stating how the Forrest Woodworker blades are inferior blades, and extolling the virtue and ethics of the Freud plant and their products. As I was leaving, the Freud rep asked me if I learned anything. "Oh yeah!", I said. He offered me a 7.25" construction blade. I told him he could keep his free blade.

I have A LOT of Freud blades and bits, and still love them. Not saying that the Freud guy's method is wrong, but I wouldn't use it, and it does not work for me, nor does it make me feel safe. And I have to feel safe when using my tools. The Freud Truck/rep thinks he knows more than he really does, and not just about tools. He really rubbed me the wrong way.

Okay, sorry for straying a little off the topic. It won't happen again. But anyway, I allow a couple of gullets to clear the top of the workpiece. It has, and continues to, work well for me. There, now back on topic. Bill
    Last edited by Anthony Anderson; 12-17-2007 at 9:50 AM.

Blade height

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    I raise the blade enough for an entire tooth to clear the top of the workpiece.

That is what I do as well. Works well for me.

I have met Charles at IWF and he knows his stuff... but this is one point I have to agree with Rick on. I raise the blade so the gullet at center-line of saw blade is just above the wood. Similar to what Jim B. and Anthony mentioned they do.

Too low... no go! Too high... don't even try!

Sarge..