Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gas up 25 cents/gal. yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I'm with Dean on this one! Like what, we have a choice in heating/not heating our homes?! The gas hovers between 1.65>1.73 around here, but on that one, I hate to say it, but it's partially our own country's fault. I travel close to 50 miles each way to work. The number of BIG SUV's, full-size pickups and those with humongo crew cabs is completely astounding. No, they don't have a ton of construction equipment in the bed and there's usually only a single person sitting in them! A LOT of them have UW or other private parking stickers or tags on them, which clearly tells me these folks aren't going to construction sites, but just their regular 8-5's. Yeah, there are tons more reasons, I'm sure, but that's one thing that's really bugged me for a long time. OK, stepping down off the soap box.
    Don't forget the fact that folks driving full-size SUV's raise the demand (thus the price, also) on vehicles with heavy frames, driving up the price of work trucks for those of us who actually use their full capacity once in a while.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    OK - stand back. We pay just over about £4 per gallon. Thats about $7.50ish. about 85% of that is tax.

Filling up my van with diesel costs about £50 - thats about $90-95.
    Gee, Ian, with my trucks gas tank and your prices, a fill-up would run me about £140, or $250 or so....every 2 weeks...yikes.

Of course, we do benefit a great deal from economies of scale, which is a major contributor to the lower price (I won't go into the other reasons why we pay less for gas, politics is not allowed here).
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Don't forget the fact that folks driving full-size SUV's raise the demand (thus the price, also) on vehicles with heavy frames, driving up the price of work trucks for those of us who actually use their full capacity once in a while.
    Couldn't agree more, Jason! Even the amount of "yuppies" (or whatever they're called now) driving those full-size trucks, because they think it's "cool". I'll bet the bulk of them haven't had much more than their weekly groceries and a set of golf clubs in them! Then there are the beefed up SUV's and/or PU's, all geared and ready to go for off-roading. OK, I guess the country club isn't on the road, per se! Many of those see the detail shop more than guys with their their Vette's and Beemers! And heck, the 85 'Vette I used to have got just under 27 mpg, and I wasn't exactly keeping an egg under the long pedal on the right, either! Grrrrr.....Society has lost sight of "practicality" in favor of being ostentatious. (Ah, 'scuse me while I get back down off that soap box again!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

SURE!! (Since I just bought a work truck that get 10mpg...I'm looking into swapping out the rear end from a 4.10 to a 3.55).

Now, if I could just figure out a way to put a ladder rack on a Harley, I'd be right with you....
    Get yourself one of those little trailers and attach the ladder to that. Just make sure it's attached well in case you have to stop quick!
    Possumpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sheffield
    Not far from that $3.00 mark.
    $2.27 for regular in san Francisco today.
    The Bay Area...most expensive gas anywhere in the US!

$2.25 in South San Jose for premium (91 Octane)...which is what my BMW requires!

However, folks are in town and so they get the bimmer this week and the LOML and I are driving my little '90 Toyota Pick-Up. I can put 87 (lowest Octane available here) in for $1.90!!

BMW is 21/30 and Toyota is 24/27 mpg.

Sigh....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    Heard gas prices were supposed to go up to 'bout $3 a gal by summer. At between $1.68 - $1.79 a gal.(regular ) now, sure seems like it. Is this price typical of prices around the country?

Joe
    If you go the the discount places in Anchorage and Eagle River Alaska you can get regular for 1.59-9
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gillespie
    Get yourself one of those little trailers and attach the ladder to that. Just make sure it's attached well in case you have to stop quick!
    WOW!! Know whats funny about that idea? Last summer I saw a Goldwing towing a small boat behind it. Thank goodness someone was in the car with me and saw it or no-one would have believed me! I guess it could be done if you can set up electric brakes on it.

Joe
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Back down to $1.54 yesterday. I still can't figure out how they go about pricing the stuff. How can you say the price went up when you already payed for the fuel thats in the storage tanks and you know that it's still in there when the prices go back down 3 days later, if that makes any sense?

Joe
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gillespie
    Well, I'd have to get more than the trailer....I'd need to get the bike, too. With young kids around, and a desire for wwing tools, a bike just hasn't been in the budget for several years now....I miss those days....sigh...
    Jason

In Tulsa it's $1.48. According to the local paper we're supposed to have the lowest prices in the nation.

Well, I'd have to get more than the trailer....I'd need to get the bike, too. With young kids around, and a desire for wwing tools, a bike just hasn't been in the budget for several years now....I miss those days....sigh...
    Ha, ha...Funny you should put it that way, Jason. When we moved, my future BIL had just gotten another HD. I says to LOML, "Hmmm...I'd really like to get one of those." She said fine, but then no WW tools. The rest is history...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    Back down to $1.54 yesterday. I still can't figure out how they go about pricing the stuff. How can you say the price went up when you already payed for the fuel thats in the storage tanks and you know that it's still in there when the prices go back down 3 days later, if that makes any sense?

Joe
    I know a couple of the local gas station owners fairly well and what they claim is that they raise the price to cover what they will have to pay when they refill their storage tanks. Of course on the other end when the wholesale price goes down to the dealer the price stays up until what's in the tanks is gone. That said however they only make $.06 per gallon or so on the average which is a lot lower markup than most other retailers.

Dean

Unhappy

Gas prices today are $2.11 for regular and$2.31 for premium!!....with no end in sight.
    Even an old blind sow gets an acorn once in a while!

It is around $2.35 in LA-Orange County and one place was $3.05 (Per TV) I was in Alaska in 1999 and the barrel price was really down-- If it dropped below $7 they was going to stop pumping the pipeline as it was not cost effective. Gas was still $1.50. Go figure??
    Jerry

There are some places in Alaska that have to get their fuel brought in on a barge. That brings the cost of a gallon of gas up to almost $8.00 a gallon.

Bob