Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gas up 25 cents/gal. yesterday.

We have the older version of the Prius...a 2002. Actual mileage varies due to outside temperature, but that's also assuming you are just watching the electronic information. One reason for the apparent "variance" is the fact that the fuel system is a pressurized bladder that expands and contracts not only because of the volume of the contents but because that volume changes with temperature. There is an adjustment that the dealer can do to get it closer to real, but it will never be accurate. The only way to really monitor your mileage is to do manual calculations each time you fill up.

The real problem with the mileage estimates on the sticker is the way they are determined...even the car manufacturers say the method is flawed, but they are required to post those numbers as the dynometer testing dicated by the government supposedly "evens the field".

That said, our mileage (mixed driving conditions) in summer is 49-52 mpg, depending if the A/C is running. Winter is 38-42 MPG, depending on how much the defroster needs to run. Dr. SWMBO's fuel costs have been cut in half, even during the colder months.

One other interesting thing about both the Toyota and Honda hybrids is the use of a continuously variable ratio transmission system. There are no "gear changes"...the transmission system adjusts the ratio to provide the best torque and performance based on what you are doing with your right foot, the speed you are going and other "immediate" conditions. Just as the engine shutting off all by itself takes some getting used to...so does the transmission! But it works well and when you stomp on the "gas"...the thing moves. (Our Prius can also turn on a dime, almost literally....I've never driven a vehicle with such a small turning radius...wonderful in parking lots and other tight spaces)

I would buy another hybrid in a second. Very pleased.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    The main thing I read about lower than advertised MPG in hybrids, including jim's Prius...is that when the A/c is on high, or the defroster is on at all, then that wil lock out the "hybrid" part and force the car to use only gas.
    Not true in the Prius, either. The electric system still works, but it is true that the gasoline engine tends to run most, if not all the time when the compressor is actually functioning. That does decrease mileage since the gas engine doesn't shut off at low speeds or when stopped. But there is no "lock out"...the electric system still delivers the horsepower it's designed to give.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-21-2005 at 9:53 AM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    I have a friend who had a Honda civic and bought the civic hybrid. He drives in Boston with a ski rack on the car! He typically gets about 38 mpg with the hybrid. This is about ten percent more than his old conventional civic got under the same conditions. I expect this is a fair, realistic comparison. He might well do better with the Toyota which was designed for Tokyo traffic but so much has to do with the driving you do and how you drive.
    In general, Hybrids such as the Prius and Hondas are more efficient in City driving than on the highway. Interestingly, the Honda and Toyota designs are slightly different in one particular respect...Honda favors the gas engine and uses the electric for boost; Toyota favors the electric system, at least and especially in the newer version of the Prius and uses the gas engine only when it must under 30 mph. Honda really takes advantage of that in the new Accord hybrid where that model actually has more aggregate horse power than the regular version, but with signficantly better mileage. GM is doing something similar to Honda in that respect from what I understand.
    --

I have seen some cars and trucks that run on natural gas. It would be alot cheaper to fill up a natural gas powered car or truck at home than to use regular gas when you consider that gas is $2.25 a gallon and going up. The only downside is that engines that run on natural gas have less horsepower compaired to a gasoline engine. That could be fixed by installing a bigger engine in the vehicle.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    I have seen some cars and trucks that run on natural gas. It would be alot cheaper to fill up a natural gas powered car or truck at home than to use regular gas when you consider that gas is $2.25 a gallon and going up. The only downside is that engines that run on natural gas have less horsepower compaired to a gasoline engine. That could be fixed by installing a bigger engine in the vehicle.

Bob
    I hear ya Bob....But also look at what diesel powered cars and trucks did to the pump price of diesel fuel....once it's popular and in higher demand...bang...the price goes up...around here diesel is more that premium grade gas....over $2.17 per gallon. If more and more folks went with NG for running their vehicles? We wouldn't be able to afford to heat our homes with it in about 2 years time. Just remember....it's the petroleum oil companies that run the world....not us.

Looking for a way to install a wood heater in my house before next winter in Conway, AR.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    One other interesting thing about both the Toyota and Honda hybrids is the use of a continuously variable ratio transmission system. There are no "gear changes"...

I would buy another hybrid in a second. Very pleased.
    Jim,

I went with the 5-speed manual because the milage is better and I wanted my daughter to learn to drive on a stick and not on the one in my truck!

My son will be starting to drive in five years, the same time my car is paid off, so I figure I'll just pass it down.

Dave

I Just Paid $2.19 For Reg Unleaded. We Have Not Seen Gas Under $2 For A Very Long Time. Glad I Have Gas And Not Diesel. It Is $2.75gal. Our Feul Bill At Work Is Always Going Up So We Have To Do A Feul Surcharge.

I just filled up yesterday (Sunday) Costco was $2.00 per. There should be a lot of RV's coming up for sale.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Got Gas?

In the wonderful U.S. of Hawaii,Oahu, a Wopping 2.44 for Reg. the news papers say. My home town Kahuku, 2.39 the last time I looked. A year ago it was 2.02, On Maui it is 2.73.In Hawaii everything is expensive,so we just deal with, I work two jobs and just keep moving along with Life. seeya!
    Revealing unknown Beauty, with a touch of finesse

What is the price of hardwood lumber in Hawaii?

Thanks,

Bob

Exclamation Gasoline is far too cheap

We in the USA and in Canada are getting gasoline for far less than we should. I wish that we ALL had to pay prices like those quaoted by Ian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    OK - stand back. We pay just over about £4 per gallon. Thats about $7.50ish. about 85% of that is tax.

Filling up my van with diesel costs about £50 - thats about $90-95.
    Perhaps that would encourage us to stop being the most wasteful people on earth and start to conserve our dwindling natural resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Perhaps that would encourage us to stop being the most wasteful people on earth and start to conserve our dwindling natural resources.
    I agree with you. Neither of us is likely to get elected!

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    I went with the 5-speed manual because the milage is better and I wanted my daughter to learn to drive on a stick and not on the one in my truck!
    Interesting. I was unaware they offered the hybrid with a stick. But we only briefly looked at the Honda back in 2002 before opting for the Prius. (Found one "immediately available" which circumvented the pretty much universal 6 month wait for both the T and the H at the time)
    --

I'm paying $2.30 in the Chicago burbs.
    Pete Lamberty