Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gas up 25 cents/gal. yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Ha, ha...Funny you should put it that way, Jason. When we moved, my future BIL had just gotten another HD. I says to LOML, "Hmmm...I'd really like to get one of those." She said fine, but then no WW tools. The rest is history...
    Sounds like a HD ad. "Yep, it was either that, or the dinette set. I chose the dinette set"

My (non Harley) MC usually gets around 40+ MPG. But, it depends on how I ride. When I took it to the track, I got around 15 MPG. Yep, 7-8 laps of Summit Point raceway per gallon . Harleys are somewhat less fuel efficient (though probably impossible to get 15 out of).
    I have heard that some of the Honda scooters push toward 70 MPG though. Hey, it's either that or the dinette set

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by James Mahoney
    In the wonderful U.S. of Hawaii,Oahu, a Wopping 2.44 for Reg. the news papers say. My home town Kahuku, 2.39 the last time I looked. A year ago it was 2.02, On Maui it is 2.73.In Hawaii everything is expensive,so we just deal with, I work two jobs and just keep moving along with Life. seeya!
    Yeah, but it's 40 degrees here in Chicago too!!

Maybe we could improve the price of gas if we were to write our congresspeople and tell them to stop putting oil at $56-60/barrel into the salt domes in Louisiana. There's nothing like buying into a demand cycle to keep those prices up.

Just a thougth!
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Well, my buck 97/gal Friday is 2.05 today. Same station!! Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    (Found one "immediately available" which circumvented the pretty much universal 6 month wait for both the T and the H at the time)
    My Volvo wagon had one foot in the grave. I needed to trade it in quick. Nary a Prius to be found (the 2004 models had just come out) but you could drive away in a Honda. I considered a diesel. I saw diesel at 2.46 today. Glad I didn't do that! Volvo had a bi-fuel model (ng/gasoline) but none available. Wish they did that in hybrid!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    We in the USA and in Canada are getting gasoline for far less than we should. I wish that we ALL had to pay prices like those quaoted by Ian.

Perhaps that would encourage us to stop being the most wasteful people on earth and start to conserve our dwindling natural resources.
    I tend to agree about the wasteful part, but that thing about raising the prices to $7.00+ or more a gal would put me and my family out on the street. That's the plain and simple truth. Somehow, that doesn't sit very well with me as a solution. And, FWIW, I drive a small, 4cyl. Subaru, but I do have just under 50 miles each way to work and back. We also only have LP (or electric) available out here for heating, and LP prices directly coincide with gas prices. I guess if I didn't *have* to travel back and forth to work daily, it may be a bit easier to get along with higher prices.

But, that long ride does indeed prove out your point of "wasteful". My goodness....The majority of vehicles going in and out of town are large pickups, SUV's and Suburban-type vehicles. And yeah, you guessed it: An easy guesstimate would be that 98% of them have only a driver, no passenger(s) and rarely any cargo! The bulk of them are 4x4. The bad part is, I sincerely believe that the majority of them are simply status symbols and those particular people will continue to drive, buy and put petrol in them, regardless of the costs. Don't know...Maybe they can afford to throw money away like that, but it's really hurting the rest of us, often struggling to make ends meet. Anyhow, I'd love to curtail the waste, but the pricing proposal would simply hurt those who need the fuel the most, IMHO. OK, stepping down off the soapbox.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

its all bull

WHile i agree with many comments about Americans and Canadians being wastefull... true we are but the gasoline prices are not going up because of lack of supply! There are many factors but mostly it is for profit of the oil companies and all of the entities inbetween and at the top. The supplies have been going up in this part of the world the last several months and right about the time the stocks levels are at the highest they have been in months the price goes up! Many reasons! We pay less than we should????? ... I will say this .. we pay lower prices than the rest of the world why???
    Because we are selfish? Wasteful? what? I think it is because we process it effectively and in a vollume that allows the lower costs...
    With all of that said( I could rant on longer )
    I remember some 24 years ago and gasoline was $1.24. (was very high at that time) I was 16 and remember it vividly because my first car had just came into my life and I had to buy gas... now 24 years later we are just now going over $2.00 a gallon... I would say that that is a fair increase when you look at it in that time frame of referance....
    We are talking about an increase that if kept in perspective is reasoanble.. I don't like it like everyone else, it hurts to part with hard earned money for somthing that does not inprove your life anymore than it did before. Just to maintain what you had you pay more... it hurts...but life is like that somtimes it just is not fair, or fun or whatever it just is.
    I think we live in some intersting time for sure we will hopefully see a transition from naturalk fuels to more cleaner,affordable, renewable forms of energy... I sure hope so anyways. I guess time will tell...
    I have not heard the $3.00 a gallon by summer from anything other than rummor althought I would not be suprised for thsi rummor.. I know diesel in many areas is allready knocking on that level...
    Some articles I read said that the average for gasoline low grade would be 2.15 to 2.25 a gallon at the high and remain above $2 the rest of this year...
    I hope that is all the higher it goes but like I said before time will tell and by the way there is not much we can do about it....
    Have a nice day.
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    But, that long ride does indeed prove out your point of "wasteful". My goodness....The majority of vehicles going in and out of town are large pickups, SUV's and Suburban-type vehicles. And yeah, you guessed it: An easy guesstimate would be that 98% of them have only a driver, no passenger(s) and rarely any cargo! The bulk of them are 4x4. The bad part is, I sincerely believe that the majority of them are simply status symbols and those particular people will continue to drive, buy and put petrol in them, regardless of the costs.
    Don't even get me started I drive those same roads, so I know exactly what you're referring to. I just don't get it. Last fall, Scott and I travelled to Scotland for a vacation. One of the things that really struck me was the difference in the type of vehicles we saw on the roads and in the parking lots. Nearly all were what we would consider compact cars, and nearly all the vehicles over there have manual transmissions. We did see the occasional van or pick-up, but quite different from my daily commute where nearly every other vehicle is an SUV.

I currently drive a '98 Saturn and get 35 mpg on my commute, which is about half highway and half city driving. With straight highway driving, I get 40 mpg. With the gas prices climbing, I decided my next car would have to do even better than that So last month, I ordered a new Prius. Should be here in another 6 months or so . . . I hope the fuel prices hold for awhile yet
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Frank - Your a braver man than me!

My earlier post wasn't intended to say "We're harder done by than you" or anything similar. It was just a try to give a different perspective. FWIW I agree with Franks sentiments and think that it is relevant to consider consumption that is relevant to the purpose. My daily driver is a panel van but that is because 80% of my miles are done delivering customers orders. it is a diesel and I get 40-50mpg (UK Gallon) most of the time.

Yes, more people in the UK drive compact type cars but I suspect that this is partly because average journey distance in the UK is smaller. Yes more of us do drive manual transmission which probably also helps with average consumption levels.

As to the supply/demand/price discussion. The supply of fossil based fuels is finite. I don't mean that we have found it all or that it isn't a big finite, but it will be finite simply because there are no more prehistoric forests to fosilize. There is a large body of opinion which says that while demand continues to increase the probability is that (available) supply will decrease. Not sure that I necessarily believe that opinion but even if it isn't correct now one day it will be. If you are the owner of a finite resource and you want to influence the demand for it the most effective way to do so is by pricing. The way I read it that is what is happening.

John Milunas - The bad part is, I sincerely believe that the majority of them are simply status symbols and those particular people will continue to drive, buy and put petrol in them, regardless of the costs. Don't know...Maybe they can afford to throw money away like that, but it's really hurting the rest of us,
    John - There is a big debate over here about 4x4 on the school run. In cities the traffic at peak time falls by about 30-40% during school holidays. The argument goes that too many of those cars are large Range Rover type vehicles which are used mainly to haul yard apes to school. The truth is that yeah - even at the prices we pay some people will not think twice about the fuel consumption.

Western MD we just hit $2.10 yesterday and no help in site.... thankfully I drive a 1992 F150 with a 6 cyl engine that gets good mileage....
    Even though I was really into muscle cars in my youth (had a Dodge Charger with 426 and 3 dueces), I have smartened up a whole lot... why do we need to keep making 400+ HP vehicles to commute to work... My wife drives a Ford Aerostar with a 6 cyl.. gets us where we are going everytime and at the speed limit... would a big V8 do it better, not that I can see...
    Got a call from a buddy yesterday.. he was in hog heaven... was on his way to pick up his new car... a fire engine red 400HP GTO... this guy lives 10 miles from his job... and it is not highway driving.. WHY THE HECK does he need a 400HP car... he goes to the Jersey shore a lot in the summer... and I know the traffic is not going to let him wind out that car... and neither are the State Police.. LOL... SO WHY... Midlife Crisis ??.. I told my wife for me Midlife Crisis is going to be a bigger lathe.. LOL.. might go all the way up to 3HP... not that I need it... LOL...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mullane
    Got a call from a buddy yesterday.. he was in hog heaven... was on his way to pick up his new car... a fire engine red 400HP GTO... this guy lives 10 miles from his job... and it is not highway driving.. WHY THE HECK does he need a 400HP car... he goes to the Jersey shore a lot in the summer... and I know the traffic is not going to let him wind out that car... and neither are the State Police.. LOL... SO WHY... Midlife Crisis ??.. I told my wife for me Midlife Crisis is going to be a bigger lathe.. LOL.. might go all the way up to 3HP... not that I need it... LOL...
    Well, that might be a fun Midlife Crisis medication for your buddy. And, believe it or not, some of those muscle cars don't do bad on the mileage. Quite a few years back, (when gas prices were more reasonable!) I had an 85 Corvette with a 4-speed automatic. (Hey, the wife wanted to drive it, too! ) Anyhow, in mixed local/hwy driving, I would get close to 20mpg. On the highway, though, I was getting a steady 27!!! My little Subaru doesn't do a whole lot better than that!

This whole fuel pricing thing is just getting out of hand, with the only winners are the ones who have been winning the whole time: Oil companies! Yeah, some gas stations also tend to gouge, but that's usually only in little spurts. I doubt they'll be building mansions from that anytime soon! One of my biggest problems with this whole thing is, how much of that "supply" part of the equation is really falsified? I remember during the big shortage "crisis" back in the 70's, I was talking to a customer of mine who also happened to fly. Said he'd spoken to another pilot at the airport just that morning who told him he had witnessed one or more oil tank trucks out in the desert dumping its contents in the middle of nowhere. Same guy told him about several oil tankers sitting out in the ocean, just outside the US boundaries! In the meantime, lines were forming at the gas stations! The government mandated that oil companies be restricted to a certain % of profit. No problem. Now, instead of making 10% of $100.00, they were making 14% of $200.00 dollars and giving the front line employees raises to gobble up the odd 4%, netting them 10% of $200.00. (Figures are just for sake of example, but that's the way they worked it.)

Bottom line, folks, is I sincerely think we're just at the mercy of the Oil Companies, which in turn have the politicians right where they want them and there's little we can do. Sure, let's ALL go and get vehicles, which get 40-50mpg. And that will do what? We've all seen before what that does: The oil co's now say that their sale-able quantity is way down, demand is down and, in order to not "lose" money, they *need* to hike prices. They ALWAYS have an excuse to keep those prices going up!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

There was a comment this morning on NPR that much of the current price rise is due to investor's comments, rather than to supply situation. They are expecting another 30-40 cents rise before it drops back. One has to wonder "who" is making money here. It's not the stations as their margins are very, very thin...

That all said, even at current prices, we have a pretty good deal when you consider price adjustments for inflation. But I hope that there are changes in policy, investment and technology availablity that moves us more quickly away from depending on fossel fuels so much. Unfortuantely, it's another "chicken and egg" problem...the technology is expensive so people balk at "buying" it, yet in order for the cost to come down, there has to be a market, etc...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gas Prices

Last Monday $1.84, Friday $1.92, just got some $2.07. Owner is real friendly, says by the weekend $2.25.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    The rise in gas prices is actually a Confederate conspiricy to reduce the number of Yankees driving through the South for Summer vacation
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mullane
    Western MD we just hit $2.10 yesterday and no help in site.... thankfully I drive a 1992 F150 with a 6 cyl engine that gets good mileage....
    Even though I was really into muscle cars in my youth (had a Dodge Charger with 426 and 3 dueces), I have smartened up a whole lot... why do we need to keep making 400+ HP vehicles to commute to work... My wife drives a Ford Aerostar with a 6 cyl.. gets us where we are going everytime and at the speed limit... would a big V8 do it better, not that I can see...
    No offense, but in the argument of good gas mileage cars, full size pickups (regardless of engine size) don't rate very well. That GTO probably gets better mileage than your F150 and probably close to the minivan (with reasonable applications of the right foot). I've had a number of full size pickups and IMO there's no such thing as a fuel efficient one. I've also had a few V8 pony cars, and all have gotten much better mileage than my 6-cyl pickups.

IMO, the car companies (in response to consumer demand) have made it difficult to buy decent fuel-efficient vehicles. Usually the small engined version of a car is not available with comfort options. To get the options we wanted on the minivan, the biggest engine was far less expensive than configuring a smaller engine model to have the features. Even then, not everything we wanted was even available. I couldn't even get leather interior in my truck with a 6-cyl. In my truck, with offroad bikes, dirt would just infiltrate the seats if they weren't leather (or vinyl, as most of my old trucks). But, the difference between the 6 and small v8 is minimal anyway. My current truck gets similar mileage to my string of old 6-cyl trucks (15-18 MPG). Full size trucks suck gas regardless of engine. I would never claim that I have reasonably fuel efficient vehicles (even if my truck was a 6). The minivan is only slightly better than an SUV, and probably darn close to the GTO.

If gas prices climb to $3/gal, I'm sure the race will be on to have decent fuel efficient vehicles. I've been predicting a replay of the mid '70s for a while now as the HP wars have intensified and gas mileage wars gone by the wayside. Whaddya think, 30 year cycle?

Jay
    Jay St. Peter