Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish nailers - 15 vs 16 guage

I wore out a couple of Senco sfn2's in a prior life, 15 gauge, my beef with them was that the thin oak trim was prone to cracking with them. Went to a Hitachi with 16 gauge, forgot the model # but the straight rather than angled and got along a lot better. Granted, you can not flatten a warped piece of trim, but it not easy to remove. And I also found the Hitachi to be much more trouble free. Of course the Sencos were older models.

My Bostitch 15 ga angled nailer does not shoot round head nails. It shoots the same type of "T" nail/brads that my 18 ga shoots.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I have an 18 ga ,16 ga and 15ga nailers.I bought them in that order and wished I had not bought the 16 ga.I bought the 15 ga because the 16 wouldn't hold heavy molding any better than the 18 ga.I hardly ever use it.The angled mag of the 15 is also very handy.the 16 gauge brads will also bend easier if you hit a knot on the edge of a board.

Peter, I don't know if they still offer it or not, but the Home Cheapo has a three gun senco set for sale. Think it comes with 18, 15 gauge, and narrow crown stapler? Might be a good purchase for you.

What sort of trim are you hanging? Paint or stain?

I install quite a bit of trim, and generally save the 15 gauge (round head) for baseboard. If I come across a board that won't easily flex to fit, I try to scribe it, or manipulate the nailing surface. By manipulate I usually mean bash with a hammer until submission! If I do want extra nailing power, I predrill, and put a loose galvanized finish nail in.

Good luck!

Dustin

I have had my 15 gage Woodtek nailer for about 12 years and love it. I bought it after reading a review about how it left the least amount of marking the wood.
    Gary

6. Tool buying mania strikes again. I went with the Porter Cable line. I know it is not the very best, but it has served me well. I have a 23 gauge pin nailer, their upholstery stapler, quantity of 2 18gauge nailers, the short nail model, and longer one as well, also have a 16 gauge. Darn if when I was hanging some 7/8" finished cedar on the wall, tongue and groove, the 16 guage would not quite cut it. I pressed the head, tight into the tongue where it met the body of the board, and invariably, I would get an extended head, then I had to use a nail punch to get it flush. So I borrowed a 15 gauge and POW what a difference. It really has a lot of umph. It literally goes POW, instead of pop like the 16 gauge. One thing worth mentioning is that the 16 leaves a hole, the 15 leaves a crater.
    The head has a shape to it also.
    The real answer to your question is that no one nail/finish gun is a cure all. Different strokes for different projects is what you really need. If you buy just one, I guess the 16 will have the widest range of uses. But every time you need an 18, or a 23, you will be wishing you had that instead. The 16 is a good place to start, then add what you need, when you need it. That is just my opinion.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

I have the 15 g and later bought an 18g brad nailer. I never saw a need for a 16 gage nailer. Both are P-C and have served well.
    Gary