Thread: Freud Premier Fusion review I guess....

Freud Premier Fusion review I guess....

To start I don't want to start a blade war or anything like that, just tell you what I have found with the Premier Fusion.

I have the 8 inch 34 Hi-ATB, .126 kerf blade, that is all my tabel saw will handle.

I am really impressed with this blade, I have a Forrest I and it is a very good blade but I think this one will replace it on my saw for a general use blade.
    May feed rates are better then the Forest by a little. The cuts are as smooth as glass. The Forrest makes very smooth cuts also but just not quite as smooth as the Fusion I believe.
    I have been cutting a lot of 1 1/2 inch hard maple and purpleheart. It rips and crosscut them very well and again very smooth cuts. I guess when you consider that I am running a 3/4 motor on the saw the blade has to be good.

Today I was trying to get my Christmas cutting board orders done and on one board I need to cut off a little to get it the the size I wanted, just a little now...the images below show the results.

It is hard to take a picture to show just how smooth the cut is but I tried. This strip was cut from one side of the board and is 15 1/2 inches long and as smooth as a babies bottom.

If you are looking for a new blade I think the Premier Fusion should be added to your list.

PC173422.jpg PC173427.jpg

It's pretty impressive to cut 1-1/2" hard maple with a 3/4hp motor without burning, Bill. Thanks for sharing your findings.

One comment I'll make on comparing blades in general, is that the new blade almost always enjoys the advantage of the fresher blade edge, so sometimes its a bit like comparing new spark plugs to old. Unfortunately, it's difficult for most of us to do it any differently.

The Fusion is one of the premium general purpose blades that I haven't tried yet, but was pretty intrigued by the design and the demo I watched at a show. There have been several other favorable comments from users too. I have recently tried the new Infinity Super General which is one of the few blades around that has similar geometry to the Fusion...30° Hi-ATB, 40T, steep positive hook, double side grind, full kerf, etc. It leaves a more polished edge than the others I've tried and slices very cleanly....it's a bit of a different animal than my other GP blades. The reason I added the comments about the Infinity is for those who might be interested in comparing these two "new breed" GP blades.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-17-2007 at 5:30 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have always had good luck with Freud blades. I tried real hard to be a Forrest WWII snob but after buying two of them, I know longer gloat.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    It's pretty impressive to cut 1-1/2" hard maple with a 3/4hp motor without burning, Bill. Thanks for sharing your findings.
    Well its not like you just push it though, it does take a little time and I have to take it slow. Maybe next year I get me a new saw but this one will have to do me for awhile.

Now when I get to around 2 plus inches I do have to go to my think kerf blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    I have always had good luck with Freud blades. I tried real hard to be a Forrest WWII snob but after buying two of them, I know longer gloat.
    Gary
    I was happy with the Forrest I, but I wanted a blade to have when it comes time to send one in for sharpening so after the good luck I have had with the Diablo blades I thought I would give the Fusion a shot.

I am sure glad I did, if they would have come out with the 8 inch a few months ago I would have got it to start.

Blog Entries
    Another Freud fan here. I have a WWII but use it as a general purpose blade along with a Lietz (both 40T). For fine work and cross cutting I use a Freud 80T and a Lietz 24T for ripping. All 10". Thanks for the review.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler