Thread: Gluing skinny panels?

Gluing skinny panels?

I'm building a Mission (probably more Craftsman) computer desk. The side boxes are frame and panel, two panels each side, eight panels total. They're approximately 10x20 and need to fit inside a 1/4" groove in the frame pieces. Thicker would be okay, but I didn't want to plane down full 4/4 panels...primarily because I'm cheap. , but also because I felt comfortable resawing 2 pieces 2-1/2" wide for each panel (giving me 10"). This way I could get the whole panel from a short 6" wide board, without trying to resaw 5-6"...this is stressful for me and taxing (mesquite) to my 14" bandsaw.

Now the question. After resawing, the 7/16" boards are bowed (along the length) all to hell. I expected some bowing, but it's baaaaad. I glued one panel by alternating the bows...first and third pieces bow down, second and fourth bow up. That one looks flat in the clamps. I glued the second one with the first and fourth bow down, and the middle two bow up. This one doesn't look flat in the clamps...it bows up a bit across the width in the middle, and was very difficult to get 'close'. Can I assume from this that I was correct in alternating the bows? I've put some weight on the next two in an attempt to straighten them out a bit before gluing...so that may be the answer, but you never know with mesquite.

FWIW, the material has been 'acclimated' to the shop.

Advice appreciated. I admire you guys that glue skinny stuff on a regular basis.

KC

KC, glueing skinny panels isn't really the issue here - it's bowed wood! Wood that probably has tension in it from being dried improperly.

In the future (not that this helps you now...), when you need skinny wood and want to resaw, take equal amounts off either side - just as if you would have planed it out. It's faster, but you can't generate double the wood.

7/16" is still pretty thick to be bending over just 20". Thinner material would bend easier. Cauls clamped perpendicular to the glue lines would help hold it together, even a c-clamp on either end would help.

Also, make it easy on yourself, and only glue two boards at once. Alternating bows would always be the way to go.