Thread: First Krenov Style Plane (Gloat)

First Krenov Style Plane (Gloat)

Well I just started down a whole new slipery slope I just finished my first Krenov style plane with a hock iron chipbreaker set. It is roughly the size of a #5 bench plane, the body is made from hard maple, with a cocobolo sole, wenge pin, and qs white oak wedge. The sides are milled square with the sole so it can be used as a shooting plane, especially for shooting veneers.

Photo 11.jpg

And I might add that it cuts very very nicely
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-17-2007 at 8:36 PM.

Very nice Michael, it looks like a good user. Welcome to the "slope"; caution,it picks up speed from here :-)
    Did your inspiration come from David Finck's book by any chance?

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamman View Post
    Very nice Michael, it looks like a good user. Welcome to the "slope"; caution,it picks up speed from here :-)
    Did your inspiration come from David Finck's book by any chance?

-Chuck
    no but I did have some help from a student of Krenov
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-17-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: * spelling

What, no shavings, lets see some shavings Very nice plane Michael. It has nice lines.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Beautiful work Mr. Schwartz. I envy your skill.

Very nice, Michael. I'm envious. Both of the plane and the mentor.

I have been playing with the idea of building a wooden plane ever since I saw one built on 'The WoodWright Shop' and again on 'Wood Works'. I may go that way for a jointer plane. Every time I see someone else build one it inspires me and I'm reaching the tipping point on the slippery slope myself.

I have the book by John M. Whelan 'Making Traditional Wooden Planes', anyone familiar with it?

Beautiful plane Michael. That's what got me slipping down this whole new kind of slope.
    Thom, Whelan's book is very informative, I have read it a couple of times (some sections several times over). Unfortunately I am a very visual learner, written instructions are very hard to digest for me. Pictures and videos are the best, as far as I am concerned. The one thing missing in this book is a lot of pictures and a step by step of a plane making procedure. David Fink's book does a great job of step by step (check your local library they may have one). Whelan's book is a great resource as it contains construction details of pretty much every wooden plane. There are plenty of online resources on plane making, those in conjunction with the Whelan book would be a good combination. Do a search on SMC for wooden plane and you will find a lot of posts with links to online resources.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Beautiful plane Michael.

I would love to try something like this. Unfortunately my local library does not have any of the books mentioned. Are there any on line resources that would help (in addition to this forum ).

-Jeff

Jeff,
    All you have to do is google "making a wooden hand plane" or variations of that and you'll find tons of stuff. Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/BldHndPln
    http://www.crfinefurniture.com/1page.../howplane.html
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_...34860,00..html

Regards,
    -Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Hamman; 12-19-2007 at 5:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Beautiful plane Michael.

I would love to try something like this. Unfortunately my local library does not have any of the books mentioned. Are there any on line resources that would help (in addition to this forum ).

-Jeff
    Check out the latest issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine. Issue No. 196 Jan/Feb 2008, there's an article called "Wood Planes Made Easy."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Craven View Post
    Check out the latest issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine. Issue No. 196 Jan/Feb 2008, there's an article called "Wood Planes Made Easy."
    Written by David Finck no less. I just read his book the other night and had a very quick skim of the FWW article and believe that the article is probably all you need. With all the talk around here about rehabbing old planes I was looking to buy a 4 1/2 on eBay as an upgrade of my #4 - wow, 4 1/2s are expensive! For less money I got Mr. Fink's 2" blade and will make myself a smoother. I've got a nice piece of Lignum Vitae that's been looking for a purpose.