Thread: Dado selection: shimmed vs adjustable

Dado selection: shimmed vs adjustable

Any major differences in cut quality between Freud and Forrest stacked dado blades? Have decided on the 8-inch but still open on which manufacturer. The Dial-a-width dado by Freud was my choice until I became confused with the arbor fit problem on some TS; my saw is the Griz 1023.

The Freud SD508 and Forrest DadoKing offer "close" performance with the Forrest often testing ever-so-slightly better. The Dial-a-wdith should give identical performance as the SD508. When you can catch a sale on the SD508, it's probably about the best buy on the market, IMHO, and I say that as a happy owner of the Forrest.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a Freud SD608 when I had my Unisaw and it worked great. The primary reason for getting the Freud over the others is the ability to adjust the width without removing it from the arbor. You do have to loosen the arbor nut to adjust however. If it fits your saw, it is an excellent choice. That said, I did have one tablesaw that it would not fit on. The reason was the arbor flange had too great a diameter to fit in the recess of the SD608. This is something you would definitely want to check with Freud on compatability before you purchase.

I haven't used the Forrest dado set so cannot comment on that.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    If my arbor would have taken the SD608, I'd have one. I went with the SD508 and am very happy with the cut.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a freud 8" (I ruined it on my radial arm saw) and found the shims hard to put on and off. I then got the dial a width. Its great and seems to cut a little better than the regular stacked i was using. I remember something about the arbor length being a factor but it is only on very few saws and any one you buy it from will be able to tell you if it will work.
    The ability to be able to fine tune the width without removing the blades is really great. Its a good design and well worth the extra money.

Probably personal preference. I have the Dado King 8-inch set and use it on a hybrid (most hybrids tell you to use no more than 6 inch sets - including mine, but so much for suggestions), and it's fantastic. I would have to think Freud's high-end offerings are pretty darned good, too, and that the differences between the two will be your opinion. You shouldn't be sorry no matter what you get.