Thread: Economical Business Cards Technique?

Economical Business Cards Technique?

Hi folks - I've been trying to fine tune settings so a wood (1/32") business card can be priced reasonable. I need something in the 30 second range so I can charge around $1/card for the high end construction companies.

I've tried color mapping and optimizing graphics for the mapping process. Anyone actually having success at selling these things for an OK profit? I'm thinking not.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

I do them with veneer, and have so far managed to sell them in small quantities (50-100) for $2 each, mostly to woodworking related people.
    I also use them myself.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I haven't done the wood ones for profit either. I do make my own business cards out of rowmark plastic and it's amazing to me that everyone who gets one play with it and remark "Wow, that's a nice business card". No fancy design or anything, but it's different and no one throws them away (which was my goal).

I partner with a printer guy from time to time, and we've talked about it a few times, but every time I tell him those types of things are $1 each, he cringes.

At $1 each, it's something you want to hand out personally, not something you want to sit on a desk so people can help themselves
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I quoted a guy $3 for lots under 50, larger lots $2. It's not really worth it as far as I can see, too much wood prep. If you have nothing better to do and can sit on prepped stock, maybe. That was on 1/8 to 1/16th basswood. Probably a lot more profitable ways to spend the time. I can't imagine a wood card that is viable at $1 per. You can count on spending some time with the customer getting the look they want too, even with a good design. Unless he wants to pay design time, of course
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

I bought 78 half sheets (4' x 4') of 1/64" ply at an estate sale last year ($80 for the bunch!) ... and I still can't see how I'd ever make any money with them.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hood View Post
    I bought 78 half sheets (4' x 4') of 1/64" ply at an estate sale last year ($80 for the bunch!) ... and I still can't see how I'd ever make any money with them.
    Hmmm...Now THAT I might turn a buck on
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

Yeah... but even with near free wood... the time will eat you up.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it all.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Sell some to us!!
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hood View Post
    Yeah... but even with near free wood... the time will eat you up.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it all.
    Try selling postcards to Boy Scout and other camps, that they can sell at the camp stores. I did that for several years with one on the Hood Canal where my son was working summers. I'd put the scout logo, a photo of the entrance, and return address on it. The campers would write on them and mail home. Seems like a good way to do direct mail advertising for laser services too, as postcards.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robison View Post
    Sell some to us!!
    Heh, I was thinking that too That stuff is sooo thin though...

For the life of me..I can't figure out how to make any money doing business cards. Not with a laser or a printer. I can buy paper cards cheaper than I can print them. Lasered wood cards are a nice novelty to pass out to promote your own business, but their isn't any money in making them for pay. You can't get enough for them to pay for all the time that goes into em.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry - I concur... But will submit to you that in our line of work, those business cards may be worth more than a profit for you if used correctly.

I use them at barter, somethings I just don't have time to do things and I'll con (couldn't think of a better word) a local guy into doing some free labor in return for some free business cards. Yea - it's laser time, but honestly, once setup in the system - it's not much work on your part, but good trade material. My local guy here has given me an open request - when my laser is not being used, make him wood cards and wood lables to put on his handmade products.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.