Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intarsia Lighthouse

Intarsia Lighthouse

A year and a half ago, we took a trip up the Oregon coast to visit the lighthouses. I had this idea of making an intarsia project of each lighthouse. So far, I've only gotten 1 done. I have new respect for those who make intarsia patterns. I discovered it's not as easy as one might think. The wood used is pine, purple heart, bloodwood, lig. vitae, walnut and popular. I did learn a lot so I'm hoping the next one will be both easier and better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

That's really neat Stan.

DK

Stan that sure is a real nice job on that lighthouse, i was on the caost this summer and that looks kinda familiar where is it if you remember.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Very Nice Stan!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Blog Entries
    Stan - great job on the intarsia. I have always loved the artwork involved in the process. I hope to someday give it a shot. My next mountain to climb in woodworking though is going to be the lathe. At the urging of Jim Becker, I am very ready to be getting into it. AND, as I found out last night, Uncle Sam has been very kind to me this year on the tax refund front, so I may make the jump into picking up the remaining items that I would need to get started on the lathe. However, after I complete the current dust collection system installation in my shop, I have a huge attached garage remodel (27' X 27') that will become a den with a bar, pool table, TV, etc. That should be taking up a bit of my time for the next few months.

But again, that is a great intarsia effort, especially for a first time effort! Nice mix of woods. It gets my creative juices flowing.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Lighthouse

Stan,
    Thanks! That is beautiful work and not easy - I'm sure! Now quit posting and get back to doing the REST of them!! Keep us informed, OK?

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Great job, Stan. That's a very attractive piece with nice contrast. Good choices for your materials!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Many thanks for the nice comments. I forgot to mention the lighthouse is Cape Blanco and located just north of Port Orford, Oregon. Also, the foundation is zebrawood and the yellow background in the tower is osage orange. Choosing woods will be a challenge for the future projects since I want them all to look different.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith
    A year and a half ago, we took a trip up the Oregon coast to visit the lighthouses. I had this idea of making an intarsia project of each lighthouse. So far, I've only gotten 1 done. I have new respect for those who make intarsia patterns. I discovered it's not as easy as one might think. The wood used is pine, purple heart, bloodwood, lig. vitae, walnut and popular. I did learn a lot so I'm hoping the next one will be both easier and better.
    A real nice job, Stan, especially for a first try. I also like the choice of materials. I'm now wondering if in the future, instead of just doing the subject (lighthouse) itself, you would consider doing it as a complete picture. By that, I mean making a square, rectangle, oval or whatever. Complete with frame, the whole enchilada. ?????
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    A real nice job, Stan, especially for a first try. I also like the choice of materials. I'm now wondering if in the future, instead of just doing the subject (lighthouse) itself, you would consider doing it as a complete picture. By that, I mean making a square, rectangle, oval or whatever. Complete with frame, the whole enchilada. ?????
    Actually, I would like to do some relief carving using that approach, Wolf. Here's one is sort of what you might be wondering about?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Project Salvager

Now that is just way troo cool Stan i really like the port hole or life ring frame!!! Bud
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith
    Actually, I would like to do some relief carving using that approach, Wolf. Here's one is sort of what you might be wondering about?
    Yup, that's what I was talking about, Stan. Did you do that? I thought you implied above the lighthouse was your first attempt. No matter, that pelican is also a beautiful piece of work.

You gonna do shallow or deep relief? I'm not real fond of relief carving myself except I love to do portraits in deep relief.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Wolf, I did that Pelican last year. The lighthouse is the first intarsia done from my own pattern as compared to purchasing a pattern done by someone else. The pelican is a pattern of Judy Gale Roberts, who is the most outstanding intarsia artist that I have ever seen.

As to relief, I think the deep will be what I do. I'm working on a ship relief right now but I don't sit down and work with it often enough. I keep thinking that some day I'm going to do some relief carving that will be between 1/3- 1/2 the actual 3d piece. In other words, like doing a full, in-the-round, caving and cutting it in half. Does that make any sense? I really like work done by Bill Judt.

Stan
    Project Salvager

Very Well Done, Stan.
    Rusty Hughes

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Stan,
    Even with all the hi tech electronics, I've spent many an hour looking for and praying for those light houses out on the big water.
    Very nice job. You have no idea how much I love to see them in good weather and in wood.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-24-2004 at 9:22 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/