Thread: Places to buy wood in Boise, Id

Places to buy wood in Boise, Id

Hi there all,

I am somewhat new to the Boise, Id area and was wondering if anyone in here knows of a good place or two to buy wood in the Boise area. I am looking for both plywood and solid wood.

Thanks for any info.
    Ryan

Ryan,

I live in Boise, ID. I buy all my hardwood as well as any high quality sheet goods I might need at High Desert Hardwoods in Eagle, ID.. The people there are top notch and their wood selection can't be beat. They sell to both contractors and to the hobbiest. They let you pick through their bunks of wood for the sticks you need, as long as you police-up the bunk when you're finished. This place is like a woodworker's candy store, so make sure you're not in a hurry when you drop in for a visit! Their website is very limited, but it does include a link to a "stock list"

http://www.highdeserthardwood.com/

Alternatively there is a much smaller supplier located off of 5-mile named "the Wood Shed." Their selection and supply is much more fragmented but they sometimes will have something specific of interest. (they carry more turning blanks, for instance)

As a last resort, there is always Woodcraft located on Overland & Cole. Their prices are quite high and their selection is very limited; but they work in a pinch if you have to pick up some hardware also.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions or you're in need of anything.

Jim in Idaho
    Last edited by Jim W. White; 12-20-2007 at 4:56 PM.

Jim,

Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear of the places. I was at woodcraft last night looking at some of the wood and I thought ouch.

I am looking at doing some builtins in my basement and you just can't use the stuff they sell at the borgs.

I will try to stop in at high desert this weekend and maybe pick up a few boards.

Nice to meet you.
    Ryan

Check out this place:
    http://www.intermountainwood.com/distribution.htm

There is one in Spokane that is a good source for sheetgoods as well as hardwoods, just not much in the way of exotics. Good prices too.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome