Thread: Firechief's hat display case help needed

Firechief's hat display case help needed

I have a very good neighbor that is a retired Fire Dept. Chief and once told me he would maybe like a display case made for his formal hat. Most likely this is like a military combination hat. I do not know the measurements since this is like a Christmas goodwill list that probably would not be done before March... Does anyone know of any plans that would be acceptable for this display. I expect it to have a lot of glass for display purposes, and was thinking of possibly cherry, maple, red oak, etc for the wood. I expect the hat to be white in majority of color (I haven't seen it). This is just a goodwill gesture as he's been a fabulous neighbor. Just needing some possible plans before I contact his wife to commit myself. Thanks in advance.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I've seen display cases for football helmets. Don't know if a fire helmet will fit in one, but you might be able to get some ideas and scale it up.

Good luck.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Fire hat

I work as a fire fighter (my real job). if you can wait a day or two I'll measure mine. Most of them are about the same size. I will also ask some of the guys who have been around longer about the cases.

Here is a display case 18"W X 13 7/8"D X 10 1/2"H --- maybe the size will help you out.

One good turn deserves another

Mark,

You are referring to his "dress uniform" hat, not his helmet, correct? There would be a big differance in size there. Have you seen the hat? I will get mine out of storage in a day or so and make some measurements and posst a pic of it to compare. (Mine is like a train conductor's style. Same as NYC fire dept.) Maybe that will help you.

Aloha, Tony

Mark, I found a picture of what I think you are talking about.

Hope this helps. I'll get you dimensions soon.

Aloha, Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes it's his formal dress uniform hat, not the firefighting helmet. Plus trying to figure out whether to use actual glass/wood framed one or use a preformed plexiglass square display on top of a wooden base. I am hoping to keep the final weight down to a minimum, but don't want to sacrifice quality at the same time. Also trying to achieve a family heirloom type quality/appearance. I'll also make the dimensions oversized enough for a brass engraved dedication label with years of service.
    Last edited by mark page; 12-20-2007 at 9:07 AM.

Mark,

I special order acrylic cases from http://www.plexifab.com/ when I have special sizes needed. I put a Hopi Indian doll in one that was 24" wide, 15" deep and 19" tall... It only cost right at a $100 complete and shipped.

That's a bit bigger than the fire-fighting hat - and since the dress cap will fit in much smaller case so your cost would be reduced greatly... It would allow for opening for looks.

One side thought though - you might want to ask. He may rather have that mounted on a wall in such a manner as not to take up too much room on a shelf or a table top... Please don't be offended by the 'bonnet' in the picture, but these are made by the same company for wall mounting items. Still accessable for touching and looking both, but takes up less room on the 'love-me' wall and some flat spot. There's lots more wall space than table/shelf space in most houses....

Steve

Last edited by Stephen Beckham; 12-21-2007 at 7:43 PM. Reason: Removed Link from photo...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

no offense from the bonnet, lol. Several years ago I showed him a case for something else much smaller I made that he liked, and that's when he showed an interest in one. It hasn't been mentioned again, and I just remembered when in the X-mas spirit. Probably long since forgotten by him and almost by me. But don't want to ask to ruin the surprise if this surfaces to something I want to undertake. With my time schedule, it may be easier to just buy something already made, but I think he would appreciate the gift more since it was handmade and crafted. I'll keep researching the idea some more too. Thanks, Mark