Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative Space Vase - Slightly long post

Negative Space Vase - Slightly long post

I went to the ACC show in Charlotte a while back and saw some turnings that I really liked. The concept of the pieces at the show were a little different but the technique was something I thought I could adapt for myself. I just wish I could remember the lady who made the pieces name so I could give her proper credit for the inspiration behind this piece. If anyone can clue me in I would appreciate it.

When my father's wife (I hate the word stepmother because she's more than that) asked for one of my "newer artistic" pieces for Christmas I couldn't come up with anything that I was satisfied with. I finally remembered the work at ACC and put together this piece.

The vase is defined by both the wood and the negative space. I like the ripples on the inside because I think it gives the piece some movement and makes you want to look inside.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the process. I'm going to do some more of these and will try to get a tutorial or video on my website. I'll let you know when I get it out there.

The black spots in the hickory are worm holes. I guess they're where the tannins in the hickory reacted with whatever the worms were doing. It's interesting how it bled in some places and didn't in others. I'll probably work on the finish a little more before giving it as a Christmas gift but I couldn't wait to post it.

Sorry for the poor picture. Critiques and comments welcome.

Hickory Vase with Base
    Lacquer finish
    14" tall by 6" diameter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Raymond, that is very cool. I think your dad's wife will really like it and I hope to see more of these from you in the future.
    Ben

What an idea, cannot wait for the tutorial for sure. You are right , that piece (s) of wood really is doin the talkin...Nice work Raymond. Merry Christmas!
    John 3:16

Raymond....I look forward to the tutorial!

BTW...Did anyone tell you this is the turning forum and not the b/s forum?

I can't wait to find out how you turned that!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Now that's ART! Couldn't stop looking at it! Love the way the hickory just flows! Looking forward to seeing how you turned this piece! Your Dad's wife will absolutely love this!!! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Oh! That's Cool!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Raymond....I look forward to the tutorial!
    Raymond, I too will be looking forward to the tutorial. I like this turning very much. Well Done!

Raymond that's very unique, I like it alot!

Very neat. I have the wood in mind so if you get the method posted I will have to give it a try.

Raymond that is beautiful. She is going to love it. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Raymond,

I bet I have 30 cut-a-part design in my sketch book. Never executed any of them. Let me plant a seed for your next effort. Once you cut up the base turning the re-assemblage does not have to be concentric.

Do a few more of these. I suspect there are freindlier woods to work with in this style besides Hickory.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm looking forward to the reaction from Susan, the recipient.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek View Post
    Raymond,

I bet I have 30 cut-a-part design in my sketch book. Never executed any of them. Let me plant a seed for your next effort. Once you cut up the base turning the re-assemblage does not have to be concentric.

Do a few more of these. I suspect there are freindlier woods to work with in this style besides Hickory.

Frank
    Oh Frank, I've already got some things in mind for the next one and the one after that. In this one, I didn't want to stray to far from the idea of a vessel. The next one will be different. Again, thanks for the comments.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Great job, but I'm afraid it's going to leak

Dale

Blog Entries
    WOW raymond. Every time I think I'm running out of styles to see, something cool like this comes along. Nice job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Great looking piece Raymond. Can't wait to see the tutorial on how you do this. Nice job!