Thread: Bandsaw blade questions.

Bandsaw blade questions.

I just placed an order for a 19" 3 HP Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw. I am excited about the purchase, because this is the last major piece of woodworking equipment that my shop needed for a full compliment of floor-standing tools.

The saw comes with a 3/4" blade. I have several questions related to this.

1) is the factory blade that comes with Grizzly saws any good?

2) I am thinking that I will probably need three blades to cover the various tasks that I plan to do with the saw. A 3/4" blade for general cutting and ripping tasks, a 1/4" blade for cutting fine curves, and a 1" or 1 1/4" blade for resawing. Is this a reasonable approach? Should I consider other sizes instead of the ones listed?

3) Are carbide-tipped blades always better than the all-steel blades, for all tasks?

4) What are your favorite brands and sources for bandsaw blades?

Thanks for any info on this.

I use Timber Wolf

Congrats on your last major purchase!

I have many to go before I can say that.

Anyway...

These blades were recommended to me when I bought my band saw. They are all I have ever used but seem to do a fine job. I bought 4 - 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4.

I only have a 14" saw so it is not as powerful as yours but I as sure they make blades for the larger saws.

Hope this helps...

Congratulations on your new band saw!

You will need multiple blades of different configurations to have the flexibility to use your new saw to best advantage. I can't help you judge the factory-supplied blade other to suggest that "generally", they are marginal...so acquire some new ones for your shop.

I also use the Timberwolf blades from suffolkmachinery.com for general purpose cutting. I typically leave a 1/2" blade on the machine, but change to the appropriate configuration for the intended work. Also, any blade for resawing and/or ripping should be dedicated to the purpose...never make even a slightly curved cut with it. It will exacerbate the wear that causes more blade wandering and disappointing cuts. (Consider the new woodworking-oriented carbide tipped blade from Lennox for those tasks...a bit of change, but it will last years with part-time use)

The specific assortment of blades you need depends on the kind of work you want to do. When you call Suffolk, tell them that. And be sure to buy an extra of the blade that will be on the machine the most. Band saw blades are disposables and they sometimes "expire" at inconvenient times.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been well served with the Timberwolf bands I have and the 1" Lennox Trimaster that lives on my saw most of the time (straight cuts and resaw work). For curved cuts I use a Timberwolf PC blade (1/4" or 1/2") and for rough work, green work, and general bowl blank prep the Timberwolf AS blade (3/8"). If I was starting over I would make the same choices