Thread: Bandsaw speed question

Bandsaw speed question

I'm getting ready to order the Grizzly G0555. I notice it was a 2 speed maching and am wondering the better speed for cutting quite a few 7"-10" thick blanks. Speeds are 15XX to 3200. Slow or fast?
    Thanks ...Bill

Blog Entries
    Most single speed units run around 3000. I run my 17" at the high speed for resawing but, that doesn't mean its right. I'll be interested to hear what others are doing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

William I run my Griz G0555 on low speed and also use a 3 TPI 1/2" wide blade from Timberwolf. I am going to try as soon as this one dulls a 3/8" 3 TPI blade next. It should make turning a little easier than the 1/2". The Timberwolf blades just last for a long time. I have probably cut 100 blanks either round or cut logs in half to make bowl blanks. It is still going on the blade I bought a year ago.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I unfortunately still have an old Summit I got at HF in the 80's. I've done a lot to get it to work right but it still has a small motor. It was 4 speed but when I installed the link belt, I canned one of the pulley cones and set it to run at around 1700 or 1900 rpm. That was to get a better "low gear" to compensate for the 3/4hp motor. Slow, but I have sawed 10" oak with it.
    I use a 1/2" Wood Slicer which is a real nice blade, but like Bernie, I think I'd like to have a 3/8" too, because turning a corner when making a blank is not easy and not good for the blade either. For straight cuts I'd still use the 1/2".