Thread: Hybrid table saws

Hybrid table saws

Looking at the Jet pro shop, I have a small work area and tend to move outside when the weather is nice enough. any thoughts on the Jet or other hybrids ?

DJ

I haven't had the opportunity to use the Jet, but I'm aware of the design, have looked at the schematic diagrams, and have read some favorable review comments. There are some really good ideas incorporated into that saw, and sale prices seem very reasonable to me.

Popular WWing liked many things about the Jet, especially the fence. Tom Hintz has a review on it too.

This link has an imbedded link of the Pop WWing hybrid comparison. All of the hybrids tested should make for a fine hybrid saw.
    Hybrid review and discussion

I've owned a Craftsman 22124 for over 2 years now and have been really happy with it. It's very similar to the Steel City, and offers cabinet mounted trunnions, a Biese fence, and weighs in at ~ 425#.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a jet saw (an exact 3hp not a hibrid) and a performax sander and a jet drill press. So far jet has been good to me.

The Jet looks like the best of the hybrids. I would wait a bit because that saw will be replaced with a new version that will have a riving knife. I was told it will be out very soon by a local supplier.

Dan

I have the Jet ProShop and I love it. Make sure you get the one with the cast iron wings, not the stamped steel. The fence is fabulous, the saw has zero vibration, and plenty of cutting power.

It's not the biggest, it's not the most powerful and doesn't have the most gizmos, but I think it's a near-perfect blend of features. The only thing I don't like about it are the holes in the bottom, some of the dust falls out there. I'll be taping those off soon.

A riving knife would have been ideal, but right now the only saws with a riving knife cost $1800 or more (contractor saws excluded). I paid only $675 for my ProShop (incl. tax), so I think I can afford an aftermarket splitter, either one of those small snap-in splitters and/ or a shark guard.

If you can afford to wait - Steel City is coming out with a riving knife model next year. But, it may take several months before you can lay your hands on one...it takes time to ramp up supplies. If you can't wait (or don't want to.....), I highly recommend the ProShop.

Bas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    The Jet looks like the best of the hybrids. I would wait a bit because that saw will be replaced with a new version that will have a riving knife. I was told it will be out very soon by a local supplier.

Dan
    Any time frame? Even ballpark guesstimate?

That is the one thing I would really like to have in my replacement saw could sway me in that direction.

If it was me and I was looking for a Hybrid, I'd go for the Craftsman Hybrid that Scott has and the Steel City hybrid. The cabinet mounted trunions make those two saws stand out from the rest. Both saws are made by Orion.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-22-2007 at 10:39 AM.

"Any time frame? Even ballpark guesstimate?"

I was told in early 08. I believe this time frame because another sales person told me about the new xacta saw just before it came out. I would wait unless you must have it right away.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    "Any time frame? Even ballpark guesstimate?"

I was told in early 08. I believe this time frame because another sales person told me about the new xacta saw just before it came out. I would wait unless you must have it right away.

Dan
    Thanks, I'm in no huge rush. Planning some time in the next few months.