Thread: Pens Finally Done

Blog Entries

Pens Finally Done

Finally have all the Christmas pens done. The first two are Satin Pearl Euro for Granny that Josh and I did together and the other is Corn Cob Atlas for Grandpa that Caleb and I did together. Good thing, tomorrow we go to their house for Christmas.

The other is part of the group of pens I/we've done. Cocobolo, Ambrosia, Walnut, Tamboti, Chechen....etc. I think the total is about 22 pens in about 2 weeks.

Have a Nice Day!

Wow, someone has been busy. A fine looking group of pens. I'm running way behind my schedule, but hopefully can still get done in time.

D
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

They all look impecable! Especially the Polaris or whatever corn one. I did a euro out of corn for a teacher, and instantly he knew what it was and wanted one for everyone in his family. Great job!

Beautiful!

Very nice - How was they corn cob to turn?

Those are beauties Jon. You and the boys have been busy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jon,
    Beautiful work. A question: I've read your post on your technique with CA glue. Will that work to seal less-dense wood with more open pores? Specifically, I made a pen using purpleheart and despite wiping it down it has some light colored flecks after finishing (not with CA glue) that I attribute to dust in the pores. Appreciate your postings. Merry Christmas - know your pens will be well received. Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gastfriend View Post
    They all look impecable! Especially the Polaris or whatever corn one. I did a euro out of corn for a teacher, and instantly he knew what it was and wanted one for everyone in his family. Great job!
    Thanks Ben, the Polaris is actually an Atlas which actually is the same thing just named differently by companies.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Very nice - How was they corn cob to turn?
    It was a little different but not much. I must say this, wear gloves when using a barrel trimmer. I didn't have strong enough grip and it slipped. Talk about putting your hand around something spinning that feels like the worlds roughest sand paper. OUCH!!!!!
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Carey View Post
    Jon,
    Beautiful work. A question: I've read your post on your technique with CA glue. Will that work to seal less-dense wood with more open pores? Specifically, I made a pen using purpleheart and despite wiping it down it has some light colored flecks after finishing (not with CA glue) that I attribute to dust in the pores. Appreciate your postings. Merry Christmas - know your pens will be well received. Dave
    Dave, I try to use a thin CA glue wipe down (while the dust is still on it) to seal the pores. Then go up one sanding grit and use some mineral oil on it. Sand away the CA, but the pores stay filled. Then continue until you do put on the Final coats of CA. The Corn Cob had lots of 'gaps' in it, and instead of using thin CA I used a GEL. Two Coats filled it up. Then I sanded with 600/1000/1500 grit. Then Applied my normal Ca/BLO finish, then Micro Mesh. It turned out pretty good.
    Have a Nice Day!

Jon,
    Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try after Christmas. Cheers, Dave

Jon
    It sure looks like you have been productive. I to love the corncob pens. Someday I will try one.
    Merry Christmas Steve