Thread: Info on this Delta Industrial Saw

Info on this Delta Industrial Saw

Can someone give me any info on this saw, I bought it with the 72" biesemeyer fence and the overblade guard system for 750.00. It does not say "Unisaw" anywhere on it, just delta industrial. The manual has part no. 911972 09-19-03, I am assuming the last part is the manufacturing date. Another odd thing is it has a square insert for the blade instead of the normal one found on most new saws. The model # is 36-729, overall it is in great condition and runs vibration free. Outside of some surface rust on the table I am excited about this find on craigslist.

any info would be great,

thanks.

DSC01145.JPGDSC01146.JPGDSC01148.JPGDSC01149.JPGDSC01150.JPG

I believe delta made or makes a line of saws that is not a unisaw, I am not a delta expert but that is how I understand it. I think the unisaw would be an upgraded edition, hopefuly someone chimes in to set us both straight. Either way I would say it was a decent score with the accesories. What is the hoarse power that might be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jason Belous" View Post
    I believe delta made or makes a line of saws that is not a unisaw, I am not a delta expert but that is how I understand it. I think the unisaw would be an upgraded edition, hopefuly someone chimes in to set us both straight. Either way I would say it was a decent score with the accesories. What is the hoarse power that might be the answer.
    Jason,

It is rated at 3hp and I also just found a thread on another BB that says that you have to buy a special arbor to mount a full dado stack on it and then you cannot tilt it past 30 degrees............. Oh well I guess I will keep the dado on my Jet......... The overarm guard system alone is 780.00 new from what I found on the net.

I've seen Industrial Delta equipment before but it's always been larger equipment. 14" blades with 7HP motors. Doesn't look like a bad saw though!

Jon

Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I have this saw... with the Unifence. Delta model numbers are as follows... 36-729 / no fence. 36-730 /T2 fence 36-731/unifence 36-732 beismeyer fence. It is a cabinet saw made in Taiwan. There isnt a lot of info, I have seen that it was made for Canada, but that was just something I read on the net. If you look at page 6 of the owners manual, under the motor specifications, Delta refers to this saw as a Unisaw. If you refer to it as a Unisaw, owners of Unisaws will argue with you that it isnt a Unisaw so I just say I have a Unisaw and leave it at that. Im sure someone will chime in here soon and say its a piece of junk and that you cant do any real work with it because you cant get zero clearance inserts for it, or that they dont like it for whatever reason. These are the people who have never seen this saw or saw a picture of it or read something that someone else wrote. With that being said, I have owned this saw for about 2 years now and it is a very capable machine. It is very accurate and well built. I have had no problems what so ever and am very happy with it. The list price with the Unifence was $2400. I bought mine from Amazon for around $1k. I also bought the dado insert and arbor from Amazon. Thats another thing people complain about. I have never used my dado blades to a full 3/4" of an inch, and cant comment on how much width you can stack, but I think you can stack 3/4" of dado with the stock arbor. I mainly bought the dado kit for the throat insert plate. Here is the info on the insert plate and arbor with the Delta number.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LQZI4

I dont know if the dado kit is still available through Delta, but the Delta number should help you find it. You also could make your own without too much trouble. I also have seen somewhere that Sears sold this saw under their Professional Line of woodworking tools, but I have no info in that area. Delta has discontinued the marketing of this saw.

I hope this helps you out. The link to the owners manual is very helpful. That will answer any questions you have about its operation. After that, its up to you to have some fun and get to know your new toy.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 12-23-2007 at 3:58 AM.

Mike, thanks for the link to the manual it helps alot........

Lance I am glad to hear from someone who owns and uses this saw. I thought I was buying a unisaw and it makes me feel better to see it mentioned in the manual as a unisaw. The saw is heavy and solid as a rock, if I can mount a 3/4 stack dado on it then I am good with that. I really like the throat insert it weighs more than the one on my Jet, and I believe making a zero clearance insert is possible. Lance do you know if the biesemeyer snap in splitter will work on this saw?

Exploded parts lists for reference attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Tiawan Unisaw

Hi. Well this is just my nickle's worth. I have one of these saws, 3 HP 36-729, I came across that I currently have listed for sale. When I got it home unpacked it I assembled it right beside my USA Made Unisaw. From what I can tell it is a Made in Tiawan unisaw. The insert is different, the blade arbor is slightly different from what I can see as well. My unisaw is a left tilt while the 729 is a right tilt so I did not compare nuts and bolts. The table extensions have a very slight rise in the middle (1 to 2/1000ths) and are each about 2" less in width. Otherwise the fit seems as good as my unisaw. The saw seems to be pretty solid to me as well. I believe you did indeed get a great deal with the accessories. If I were Delta I would go back to the hinged metal door. I actually switched mine to an old stock door. The colors don't match but I prefer it by far than that plastic cover.
    Ultimately we would all like that pie in the sky perfect tool. Ohhh, Ahhh. But I am always reminded what a very talented carpenter once said to me. "A good craftsman learns to make due with what he's got". Have a good X-mas and enjoy your new found friend.

I think you got an excellent excellent deal on this saw. In the pics it looks new. I am a Delta fan and own some pretty big delta tools made from USA to Taiwan. I would be glade to own that one. Use it in good health and with safety. Keep it tuned and rust free and it will last you and your kids forever.

Quote Originally Posted by James Manning View Post
    Mike, thanks for the link to the manual it helps alot........

Lance do you know if the biesemeyer snap in splitter will work on this saw?
    No... I sure dont know... sorry

When I was deciding what table saw to buy to replace my Delta contractors saw, I was looking at hybrids or anything I could get for $1k. The Grizzly 1023 was just out of price range w/shipping, or I would have seriously considered it. I wanted a Unisaw, but again, out of price range. So back to the hybrids. Then I found this saw. It has a magnetic switch, cabinet mounted trunnions, 3 HP, triple belt drive, and a 50" fence system(mine Unifence,excellent) all of which the hybrid doesnt have, for the same price as what Delta wanted for their hybrid with 30" fence system. So I bought it. As I said above, I have been very happy with it. There are a couple of things I am not fond of, but there are work-arounds for everything.