Thread: Dust Deputy

Dust Deputy

Looking for opinions on the dust deputy-
    http://www.dustdeputy.com/

My plans are to build a soundproof cabinet for my shop vac and possibly this dust deputy, then I will hook it up to my Dewalt CMS. So they will be dedicated to reducing the dust for the CMS.

If there are other ideas, please advise.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Sound proof

I would advise a word of caution. If the cabinet for your shop vac is sound proof it will also not conduct or rather convect heat away from the shop vac motor. At a minimum you might want to put one of those digital meat thermometers with the long metal wire inside the box with the shop vac and mount the temp readout on the outside of the box.

It'll be a while before I install a DC system, but I'm researching Clear Vue's CV06
    http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm
    and Phil Thien's garbage can lid idea (he has a thread here on Sawmill Creek)
    http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
    I'm thinking you saw the same thread about a shop vac enclosure that incorporated a bottom baffle for noise reduction and air circulation?

- Jim

Todd-
    I thought of the problem with heat.
    The vacuum's electrical will be connected to a switch I purchased from Sears that will turn on the vacuum when I turn on the saw. And as the saw wont be turned on constantly, I dont feel heat will be an issue.
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    I would advise a word of caution. If the cabinet for your shop vac is sound proof it will also not conduct or rather convect heat away from the shop vac motor. At a minimum you might want to put one of those digital meat thermometers with the long metal wire inside the box with the shop vac and mount the temp readout on the outside of the box.
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

I would look at the Clear Vue's CV06.
    I have one and am very happy with it, the one thing that I really never thought about was the clear part of it.

I can see when my bucket is getting full, and when it does it will go to the shop vac, which you don't want. I can also see when I am feeding to much to it, like with the planer and soft wood.

The shop vac and the CV06 will handle all my needs but the planer if I am making deep cuts in soft wood.

I am sure I will get some flax over this but I have taken the filter out my shop vac and replace it with window screen, 2 layers. I then just duct the exhaust out the back of the shop though a dryer type vent. I have been running this way for 5 months and there is only a trace of dust in back of the shop.

There was plans for a shop vac cabinet in Tools & Shop mag just last month.
    Here is a link if you are a member.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=29924
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 12-18-2007 at 1:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mims View Post
    It'll be a while before I install a DC system, but I'm researching Clear Vue's CV06
    http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm
    and Phil Thien's garbage can lid idea (he has a thread here on Sawmill Creek)
    http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
    I'm thinking you saw the same thread about a shop vac enclosure that incorporated a bottom baffle for noise reduction and air circulation?

- Jim
    Ahh, here it is:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=29740

- Jim

I have a dust deputy and love it. I think Oneida has it on sale for $149 with free shipping. I have plans to build the same enclosure with my shop vac and the dust deputy. I hope you post plans to let us know how your's turns out. If you are going to use the plans from FWW mag I think the heat issue has been accounted for in the design.
    Lee

Cyclone

Dave,

Howya Doin? We were talking before about a Festool vs. a Fein. One thing to know about either is that you don't really need to worry about the heat with these two brands. They both have dual motors. One motor is for the dust collection and a second motor is dedicated to cooling the motors. That way, if the suction is 100% blocked, the motors will not burn up.

I mentioned before that you could get a Fein with a HEPA filter for $30. Well, I did that last week and I also purchased the Clearview Cyclone. I looked at the DD too. I read over Clearview's info and decided that I liked their idea better. I think that the DD is likely the beefier of the two. But, I really like that the Clearview cyclone is transparent. I have stopped to watch it several times today while in use. It was $135 shipped.

I used a piece of 3/4" plywood and made a template of the top of my 12 year old 1 hp shopvac. I attached the Clearview to the top of it and then routed the underedge to sit on my shopvac (which is on wheels). I used an old 2 1/2" hose to connect the Clearview to my shopvac and then plugged my Fein hose into the Clearview. Maybe a couple of tablespoons of very fine dust on my Fein's HEPA filter, but the shopvac had about a gallon of dust under the Clearview... I have it over at my parents house right now. My dad's 25 year old Shopvac (HOWLER) is powering it ,while it's hooked up to my TS55 via the Fein hose. I get my CT22 on Thursday. If you want a photo, PM me via the FOG.

Rod

Dave,

I went with the Clearvue. Heres a picture of my setup from a previous thread. I liked the CV06 because its clear and has a standard 2 1/4in connection. Someone mentioned somewhere that if you call Oneida you can get a DD with the larger inlet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1192490891

The CV06 works very well. Everything winds up in the barrel and nothing gets to the filters and the festool bag. At least I can't see any and havn't checked in awhile. The best part is it sits on top of the CT22 and moves around easily.

~mark

I assume your sound proof enclosure will have an air draw? If not, it will. I have the ClearVue Cyclone and the little guy. The little cyclone works great on saving filters, but if you want any storage volume the can/cyclone assembly does add up in height. I went with a 20gal container and the can/cyclone is approx 36" tall when done. It has been a bit of a problem to fit in tight spaces or under other pieces of equip. All in all, a good buy at $25 when I purchased the DC package.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tinley View Post
    Todd-
    I thought of the problem with heat.
    The vacuum's electrical will be connected to a switch I purchased from Sears that will turn on the vacuum when I turn on the saw. And as the saw wont be turned on constantly, I dont feel heat will be an issue.
    Thanks
    Dave
    The shopvacs motor cooling solution depends on the flow of air over the motor. Once the air flows over the motor and is heated it needs to be exhausted away or you are recycling hotter and hotter pre-heated air. Even if the motor does not flat-out overheat it will certainly shorten its life.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Dust Deputy - I never sand without it. ROS and belt.